Anyone brought their LO to cemetery before? To pray for the deceased? Is it okay?

16 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Depends on your culture and personal preferences. In mine, I know some parents would prefer young babies to not go as they are "weaker" and supposedly more prone to disturbances (if you do believe in that). Logically, cemeteries are usually hot and have very little shade and can be quite inconvenient if you need to change or feed baby (unless you have a car). Personally, I started going to cemeteries with my family when I was around 10-11 years old. I guess I was old enough to understand and also not throw a tantrum if it gets too hot or uncomfortable.

Read more

We tend to avoid these and stick to the cultural believe as much as possible when it comes to our toddler. Personally I wouldn't bring my toddler. Even if my husband and I go, we make sure we "clean" ourselves before we want to talk or hug our toddler when we go back from a funeral. Just a thing to add on. I used to fall sick whenever I pass by a funeral. That happens all the time before I turned 9.

Read more
Thành viên VIP

Till now, neither of the family never ask me to bring, they kind of avoid it for my kids, as it's hot as well. And they want prevent unnecessary problems after that. So really depend how ur family look, if your family is ok due to kids is too young and will want to avoid unnecessary things as well is better. But my family have the praying at home, so my kids will pray respect during that period.

Read more

Agree Yuna, some chinese culture are not allow baby attend the cemetery because the elderly believe baby after attend they will cry all night or difficult to look after afterwards. If your family members are not believe that is ok to bring them but is only praying have a lot thing to do, bring baby along if they need to drink or changing dryper is a bit troublesome.

Read more

I would never bring them as I was told by my friend that after she allowed her baby to attend her grandmother's funeral, her baby got high fever the next day. But it's really a dilemma because it's between 2 loved ones. Maybe if the deceased have already passed away long ago, let the LO visit after he or she turns older? I'm sure the deceased will understand.

Read more

not sure about the Chinese culture, but Malay families don't encourage it! also it would depend on the situation? if it was my parents, I would bring my child. if it was a relative, I wouldn't. I wouldn't want my kid to trouble other family members when they're still mourning. Different perspective. But I hope it helps a little?

Read more

Personally I think better not to bring them to cemeteries or funeral wake or even hospital. Kids can be very superstitious. Real situation: My friend's sister's daughter went to the funeral wake, the very night she started to scream in her sleep. Luckily they bath her with praying flower.

Thành viên VIP

I did. my mil say after baby 6mths better. yup depend on ur relationships with the deceased. My case is my eldest son so to LO is brother so ok. if relatives,friends,etc...better not coa their yang qi not strong. if u can get ur family to help look after better or nanny or even BFF.

As for me I don't bring little ones to pray for deceased. as some of the children can be traditional and superstition. It depends on don't you mind to bring your kids or send your kids to parents which can help you to look after them.

My master advised me cannot bring my girl to funeral or cemetery before she turns certain age. Anyway, there's a lot of negative energy and our LO might not be suitable to go. Better don't take risk.