Gender Favouritism Comments

Hello! When announcing your pregnancy news to family/immediate relatives, did anyone face gender favouritism comments? My husband is the only son, and his dad is also the only son. His aunt had jokingly commented before during CNY gathering about how important it is for us to continue the family lineage (?!), i.e to have a boy. My FIL is the most traditional person I know, and there's a high chance he will comment about how our baby better be a boy once he knows of our pregnancy. Of cos we could just smile and ignore, but deep down, we know it will affect and stress us. Is there a good way to let them understand that such remarks are insensitive and unnecessary? #1stimemom #advicepls

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

think u can start simple, like when someone jokes about continuing the family lineage, can reply that both girl or boy are good. if they still don't get it and talk seriously about wanting a boy, then they need to understand that this is not within anyone's control, and regardless of gender everyone should love the baby the same. can share with u the snarky remark I have prepared in case anyone gets difficult (use at your own risk lol) - continue lineage?? your family got a royal throne to inherit? ;)

Read more
Thành viên VIP

Relatable. When I was pregnant with my first child, everyone was expecting a boy but end up it's a girl. Most are disappointed at first but now they're okay. I'm currently pregnant with my second child now and it's a boy 😅 Maybe you should speak up? It doesn't matter if it's a boy or a girl, as long as it's healthy!

Read more
Thành viên VIP

exactly the same to my situation. be firm and let them know irregardless of gender. we will still love them and it doesn't matter at all.

Can try say, continue your lineage? Nobody wants to continue an as***** like you. A girl is also a lineage, runs the same blood.

Influencer của TAP

just ignore I had them from my in law too. end up now they want to snatch baby away from me. I had a baby girl

Ask the men to give birth then. So annoying