screen time & autism

Regretfully, I introduced screen time to my little one at a very early age, hoping to buy some free time for myself amidst the chaos and lack of support. 😞 Now, my precious child is displaying autism-like symptoms (refuse talking, eye contact, scream when not getting screen time when he wants it... refuse eating if not watching tv/ video), and I can't help but blame myself. Has anyone experience similar thing?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I understand the need for me time and I do also occasionally slip the phone or tablet to my child to keep occupied so I can enjoy a quick meal in peace. However, I always make it a point that my child do not eat with screen time (only exception if we are out and cannot control other people's screens.) Plenty of studies have proven that screen time is a known cause for behavioural issues with young children. I would suggest reducing your child's screen time for a start. There are many resources available online that gives examples of how much screen time a child can have and how to start reducing screen time for those who are addicted.

Read more