Parenting Style

Recently me and my husband have been arguing over different parenting style. We are both working full time so we agreed to let my in laws to care for my LO. However, things started to be a little out of control when my in laws couldn’t care for my LO at most times. They will be caring for other grandchildren, bringing my LO to car rides while chauffeuring other grandchildren, make frequent plans to travel and expecting me and my husband to take leaves to care for my LO in their absence. I suggested to send my LO to infant care and in this case, everyone will be happy and convenient. We as the parents can work without worries, my LO can get proper care and attention and my in laws can care for their grandchildren and travel as and when they want to. But it seems like I’m the only one who like this idea. My husband and my in laws are strongly against sending my LO to infant care saying that she has missed watching her kids growing up so she want to make up. But in my mind, this is my kid, not yours, why do you wanna interfere with how I want to raise my kid just because you missed your chance? HELP!!!

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I would just go ahead and apply for IFC. As you mentioned, she already have other grandchildren to care for and couldn’t care for your LO at most times so she probably won’t have enough attention on your LO to miss out any growing up moments. Missing milestones asides, touchwood when LO starts crawling and needs more attention by then, will his parents be able to assure they can handle? And it’s not saying LO is the only grandchild they need to handle, she will still get to experience other grandchild’s growing up. But do take note that once they attend IFC, you’ll need to arrange someone/take leave to take care of LO incase he/she falls sick (unavoidable).

Read more

I totally agree with what is in your mind! 🙌🏼 It will be good if your hubby is on the same page with you, if not it will be difficult on your end. Infant care is a good idea if you not keen for the in-laws to continue looking after your LO. If not, maybe can explore the idea of hiring a helper?