Inconclusive Gender & SCA for Harmony Test

Hi Mummies! I would like to share my story and hopefully bring you positive vibes while you wait for your next result if you decide to test further. My first born was all well and good. A smooth pregnancy with no hiccups nor cause of concerns. And a year later, I was expecting my second and as usual, we did the harmony test at week 11, waited for 2weeks and the ‘horror’ starts ... We had low risk for Trisomy 13,18,21 and di-george but the gender and SCA were reported as inconclusive (I’m 32, we have no history of genetic disorders). It was new to us, new for the gynae even (~30yrs experience). A repeat test was offered by the lab and we took it. However, we were told that repeating the test would likely yield the same results and was asked to consider the possibilities and our acceptance towards a baby who may have SCA (worst-case, though inconclusive results does not mean its abnormal, it was just as if we never did the test. But frankly? We did it to know it!). During the next 2weeks wait, it was horrible. We read up all we could, reading up forums, papers ... and we concluded our worst-case scenario. The repeat test result came back and sadly, it was the same. So the next step for us - To know for sure or just live with this unknown till he/she arrives. We decided to go for amniocentesis. Fortunately, my gynae made it rather easy for me. Compared to the ‘mental roller coaster’, the procedure was painless. Here comes the next wait ... On the 11th day, I got a call from the clinic and it was the best news ever! Our baby was normal and we now know the gender. So Mummies, I am sharing this story for you to still have hope! Its tough (almost 2months of unknowns) but there is hope! Hang in there if you are going through similar! You’re strong and All the best! Have faith!

1 Reply
 profile icon
Write a reply

Thanks for sharing