Epidurals experience

Hi mummies, as I am approaching deliver date, I am getting cold feet and scared. Can anyone share with me if administering epidural hurt?

19 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

You have to be very still when they administer it so you need to decide pretty quickly if you want to have it or not because once you are 6+ dilated the contractions are quite intense and hard to remain still. The doctor messed up the positioning 3 times and I felt electric currents all over my left side to the point I couldn’t feel my leg. Next doctor finally got it right and I felt pretty much no pain after. Even after my dilation increased the contractions felt super mild. Only had to push for 5 mins after that before baby was out. Although epidural worked for me, the administration was quite traumatising so really to each their own. Not sure if I would take it again for next pregnancy

Read more

I just delivered on Mon and epidural was great relief. nurse helped to hold me gently in position for the anesthetist to do local anesthesia, felt uncomfortable but was way better than contraction. he then inserted the tube, which I couldn't feel much of it other than the "electric shock" feeling. but I think my body is not responding well to the drug, I vomited several times after the delivery. Generally, it was way better than what I expected, and I believe u can do it too:) smooth delivery!

Read more

Feels like an ant bite only. Otherwise, its better than the constant contractions which were painful; at least for me as i didn’t dilate well over 10+ hrs. Side effect was just intermittent vomiting. To each her own body though! But you may consider epidural depending on your level of threshold for pain on the day itself. All the best, and may you be granted with strength to push through the phase mummy 💛

Read more

for me the injection pain level is normal. i think the fear more is on the unknown steps that are going to happen. like u duno when the dr is going to poke the needle. my dr ask to to cough at the count of 3 n thats when he inserted the needle. suggest u read up about the steps if u do not want to see the video so u are more prepared.

Read more

Personally felt it was bearable not as scary as i thought it would be. I agree that the contractions are far more painful. The only thing for me was i could feel this 'electric' feeling on my right leg during administering and that made me moved and was scolded by anesthesiologist 😂 So what ever it is, dont move.

Read more

I don’t know if it’s the same or comparable, I had c sec and when they gave me the spinal injection, it was ok. I’m very cowardly when it comes to needles. At first, I was so nervous, they asked if I want a general anesthesias instead 🤣🤣🤣

they will administer local anesthesia b4 the epidural jab. so it really doesn't hurt at all. the important thing is not to move at all, so if you feel a contraction coming, let the anesthesiologist know so they can wait for it to pass.

mine was through c sect so they had me breathe in some gas and I felt numb so the injection was ok. I fear of injections but it was ok for me. You know it's poking but don't feel the pain at all.

I had epidural before my delivery. Actually it is not that painful and soon you will not feel contractions pain too. The procedure hardly takes any time and before you know it, all will be done

Laughing gas really helped me a lot. Made me sort of unaware of the pain. And I’m the kind who is afraid of needles. Even getting blood test done and injections is a nightmare.