How to handle a mother in law

My mother in law is always hoping my son won't be close to me... since young until now he is two. She really constantly saying hurting words like your mummy walk away, you smile. Then yesterday my son didn't wait for me and walk away with my father in law, she will make comment like see he left.... and give a smile like very happy he left without me.... I really don't know what's wrong with her. I don't even know how to trust her with my son... its to the point I don't want to see her..... I really feel so stress being around her.#advicepls #firstbaby #firstmom #pleasehelp

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Do you stay with your in-laws? Or is your son closer to them? Because I recall my girl doesn’t like to be left alone with my in-laws and would stick close to me before she was 2yo. So the remarks my mil left was “okok, go find your mummy, I don’t touch you.” But I can also understand maybe they have preference over boy so… if I were to hear such remarks, I’d sarcastically question her if her mil used to say that to her son (your hubby) when he was a kid. Ask how’d she feel if someone said the same thing behind her back. Try to be open minded. After all they are your son’s grandparents and we’ve to respect them so that your son learns to respect elderly too. You have plenty of time to bond with your son. Every kid would love to be around their parents. Don’t think of the bad, think of the good.

Read more
6mo trước

Haha it’s not a bad thing for your mil to want your son to get closer to her. Maybe she misses those days when her son was a toddler. From time to time I would look back at my daughter’s younger photos and reminisce spending time with her. My mil now stays with us. Whenever she wants to play with my daughter, I just leave them be and treat her as babysitter. Rather than thinking she’s seeing you as a maid, think of the other way round 😉