baby is too small...

Hi moms-to-be, I recently had a check-up with my OBGYN, and they mentioned that my fetus seems to be smaller than expected for this stage of pregnancy. Needless to say, this news has left me feeling quite anxious and worried about the health and development of my baby. I can't shake off this feeling of concern. can this lead to my baby stops growing? Has anyone else experienced something similar during their pregnancy? Did your baby's size end up causing any complications or was everything okay in the end? I would really appreciate hearing from other moms who may have gone through similar situations or have any relevant experiences to share. Your insights and advice would mean a lot to me during this stressful time.

16 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi there! I understand how unsettling it can be to hear that your baby might be smaller than expected during pregnancy. Firstly, try not to stress too much as it can affect both you and the baby. It's great that you're reaching out for support and advice from other moms who may have gone through similar experiences. From my own experience and what I've gathered, a small fetus doesn't always mean something is wrong. Some babies are just naturally smaller than others. However, it's essential to follow your healthcare provider's recommendations and keep up with regular check-ups to monitor your baby's growth and development closely. In some cases, a smaller size could be due to factors like genetics, maternal health conditions, or even just the baby's growth pattern. Your OBGYN will be able to provide more information and guidance tailored to your specific situation. Remember to focus on staying healthy, eating well, and getting enough rest. Surround yourself with positive support and trust in the care you're receiving. Stay strong, mama! You've got this. Sending you lots of love and positive vibes during this challenging time. https://invl.io/cll6she

Read more

Hi, Don’t worry too much. Eat more beef, avocado, milo and durian. My baby was small until the last trimester. At Wk35, she was scanned to be 2kg only. Doctor say we might need to induce cause he was afraid baby not getting the nutrients from me. In the end, we went for some detailed scan and there were no blockages, so we waited to see. Finally water bag burst and she came out herself at Wk36, weighing only 1.995kg. She still fattened up after birth. As long as baby growing fine and eating well, don’t worry too much. Now she is almost 2yrs old. Always on the more petite side - 10kg. But super active and chatty. Just follow through with the required checks and trust the process.

Read more

I gave birth when i was 36+4wks. My third trimester check ups are frequent as my baby size was small and my amniotic fluid was low. My appetite was huge and i tried drinking alot of milk, eating beef and etc but because i had a minor complication which was there was a lump to where the nutrients lead to my fetus, so not enough nutrients were met. Baby was 1.7kg when i gave birth and was being put in a special care nursery for 3 weeks. The last appt i had when baby was 4months he was weighed 4.8kg which is still under less than 3% percentile of growth. Length requirements were met but he is healthy other than the weight.

Read more

I just had my detailed scan 3 weeks ago at about 22 weeks, and my baby’s weight was apparently in the 25th percentile. My husband asked if this was a cause for concern, and our ONGYN mentioned that anything within 90th to 10th percentile is fine. I’m at the tail end of my 2nd trimester now and still eating normal, but we decided to spice up our routine to try having 1 steak dinner per week. Most of my friends have told me that my appetite will increase in the 3rd trimester, and it is the diet during this period that will influence/determine baby’s size during birth.

Read more

Hello! I was in your position 4 weeks ago. I am 8+4 today. The doc told me the same thing - that the embryo seems very small if we calculate based on the Gestational date. However as I calculate my ovulation period, i know that I ovulate later than what the typical calendar states so it is normal that the embryo is smaller than usual. Now the bb is growing well so I am also hoping that it will continue to be this way !

Read more

Helo mummy! I've been there when i was pregnant with my first baby girl and they told me that my baby is smaller that expected! After hearing it, I literally ate alot of beef and fruits/vege. silly me trying my luck if the baby would grow if i eat alot of protein😂.. When it's time, my babygirl was born healthy 3.064kg. Don't worry so much!

Read more

my girl was known to b smaller than averge on my 3rd trimester. She’s born 2.2kg, and is smaller compared to other children but she’s more active & chattier. She’s 15 mths now & eats a gd portion of food. Doctors are not concerned as long as she’s growing & eating well.

Not to worry my baby was born 2.7kg now 20 months and he is only 9.6kg as long as he is healthy and growing,there is nothing to worry. He is only 10 percentile.. i ate durian during pregnancy but does not improve as his is small build in nature. Stay strong mama.. 💪

I had the same, doc says count might just be off because iv been having irregular periods before I got pregnant. in my next scan doc says it showed improvement, so maybe really just the count because I thought I was 7weeks but the size only showed it was 5wks

hi mummy ! my son was on the smaller side when he's in my tummy too till when he was born, he weighed 2.348kg, he's perfectly healthy!! When He's about 4 Months old he looks chubby and chunky hehe! I'm fully breastfeeding him.