Hi moms , I have a five years old daughter which I really don't know how to handle . I am not sure why she can't play herself all the times except when she is seeing iPad, and most of time I would give her to watch at iPad for too long as it is not good for her . So when she is not watching ipad she can't play herself even if u have play with her alwhile le she still can't play herself and I am a very impatient person , what should I do

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My daughter went through a phase just like this, and after reading a lot I decided to just go cold turkey. I took the Ipad away and locked it in a cupboard. I did it on the weekend, when I had a lot of time and we spent the whole day outdoors at the zoo, indoor play areas and with family. She was so busy that she did not miss the IPad. I then set up a very busy schedule -- which I have to say was a lot of hard work for both me and my husband. She cried for it on Monday and Tuesday and threw a big tantrum, but we did not give in. the crying lasted one week. Now three years later, she has fixed times at which she can play/work on Ipad. As for not wanting to play by herself -- she really needs to be able to do it. One way is to sit down to play with her -- building blocks, or drawing...start the activity with her and then step out for 5 minutes saying "you colour this, I will just go to the toilet and come back"...slowly slowly increase the time intervals you step out for. You will see that she will continue with the activity/game by herself. it takes time, and you have to be patient. Good luck!

Read more