excess folic acid during pregnancy is very dangerous????

Moms, I just found out that excess folic acid during pregnancy is very dangerous for the baby. They say it can cause autism???? This is my first time being pregnant and i am really scared of everything that could potentially harm my baby. My doctor prescribed me folic acid vitamins... I’m really scared, it's such a gamble. If I don't take it, I’m afraid of deficiency, and if I take it every day, I’m afraid of excess. But what are the signs of excess folic acid, moms? Does anyone know? I hope we all stay healthy. #seriousquestion

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I shared similar concerns about folic acid after reading literature around it. I was taking 5mg prescribed and 800mcg from my own prenatal multivitamins. Checked with my Dr, and she is aware of such research floating around regarding folic acid and autism. However, she put my mind at ease because it's really more beneficial for me to take her prescribed amount of folic acid as opposed to the risks of not taking it - due to my medical history. There's a reason why certain dosages are prescribed. She shared that my additional prenatal folate amount of 800mcg is not a lot anyway, said excess is excreted in the urine. I get your worries though! I have some family history of autism and I'm naturally more worried about it.

Read more