4 year old and reading level

Hi all My lo is 4 years old. She still unable to read.Is it ok? I'm being questioned by in laws almost everyday. Since I'm a SAHM, they think I should do more for my lo. At what age do your lo know how to read? What did you do? Any tips? ??

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mom

Not all 4yo kids can read. You can start by introducing the letters of the alphabet with phonics (sounds of each letter) and get your little one to imitate you. Then you can try short 2-3 letter words and put the phonics into practice to teach your little one how to derive the pronunciation of the word. My LO had little ‘stop’ and ‘go’ signs, so we would repeatedly do “S-T-O-P, stop!” and “G-O, go!” while playing with the signs. After a while, she’s able to identify the words she learns. Also keep reading books to your LO, and oblige even if requested to read it 10 times. Kids may start by memorising the books before actually reading them, but it builds their language skills.

Read more

Don't be bother by what in law says. Different child development is different. My elder starts to read by herself when she is 6yr old. Doesn't matter. Pri 5 last Yr end exam. She is 1st in class. Why so worry. Don't need to explain so much with in law. U know your take care your child well is good enough. Stress will make you wan to make sure your child read well and your child don't read well u get angry. Even worse. Take it easy. Going to preschool or child care they will start learning. Come home we parents enhance ya... Take care.

Read more
Thành viên VIP

Every child learns at his or her own pace.. My lo is turning 5 this mth n just started to read also. I started off by playing with him using those high frequency word cards.. Den read those simple2 2 to 3 word in a sentence books.. I think his teachers in cc played a huge role too.. I nvr forced him cos i rather he cultivates an interest in it.. My dad also keep asking him if he knows how to read anot.. Now that he cn read a little he asks know how to spell anot... Lolllll i act blur la old people

Read more

Start by speaking proper English to them, and emphasise on pronouncing words you notice it’s hard for her to pronounce. Most importantly speak slower to her so she can understand your words

Thành viên VIP

It's ok. Maybe read more to her but dont let ppl unkind words affect you.

Thành viên VIP

Reading is usually age 5 and 6. Don’t stress