breast massage and hand expressing

would like to check if we should pull and squeeze the nipples during breast massage / to hand express effectively? I've read articles to say it should be gentle pulling but LC in hospital also just squeeze nipples for milk to come out prior to feed and masseuse also does that to release milk I'm a bit confused cos what LC and masseuse did is painful but it really help to release milk and even to the extend of squirting. context: I do have over supply, and usually have engorgement issues. I haven't been very successful at hand expressing as I feel pain to do that on myself and milk only comes out in drops. so am pumping most of the time and latch sometimes.

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

When it comes to breast massage and hand expressing, it is important to find a technique that is both effective and comfortable for you. Breast massage and hand expressing can indeed help with milk release and can be particularly useful for mothers who have engorgement or oversupply issues. While some sources may recommend gentle pulling during breast massage, others may suggest squeezing the nipples to release milk before a feed. It is not uncommon for lactation consultants (LC) and masseuses to use techniques that involve squeezing the nipples to release milk. This method can sometimes be more forceful and even slightly painful, but it can be effective in aiding milk flow, especially in cases of engorgement. If you find the squeezing technique to be too painful or uncomfortable, you can try different approaches to hand expressing. It's important to remember that what works for one person may not work for another, so it's okay to experiment with different techniques until you find what works best for you. Since you are experiencing pain and only getting drops of milk when hand expressing, it may be helpful to try using a breast pump instead. Pumping can help empty your breasts effectively and relieve engorgement. You can also combine hand expressing with pumping by using hand expression to start the milk flow and then using the pump to empty the breast. If you continue to have difficulties with hand expressing or if you are looking for ways to manage engorgement and oversupply, you may want to consider reaching out to a lactation consultant for personalized support and guidance. They can provide tailored advice and assistance to help you navigate these challenges. Additionally, if you are interested in products that may help with milk expression or breast care, you can consider looking into breast pumps or nipple creams that are designed to aid in breastfeeding. These products can provide added support and comfort during your breastfeeding journey. Remember that it's important to prioritize your comfort and well-being while breastfeeding, so don't hesitate to seek help and explore different techniques and products to find what works best for you and your baby. https://invl.io/cll6she

Read more

Hello! This is from what I have learnt from nurses and lactation consultant, and found effective for myself~ I was taught that hand expression isn't really about squeezing the nipple itself - you need to go further back into the wider breast area instead. Placing your hand in a c -or u-shape hold right outside the areola, push inwards towards your chest, before you apply a gentle roll/squeeze. I found that this was a lot less painful than squeezing the nipple tip itself and also helped to stop my engorgement issues (also an oversupplier 🙋‍♀️) as it was removing milk from the deeper tissues effectively 👌 Not sure if I explained properly haha but if it helps, you can search how to hand express on TikTok and there are a lot of video tutorials :)

Read more
3mo trước

I hear you!!! I feel like there's a certain technique to it hahaha and it took me a couple of days to practise + ongoing guidance from lactation consultant before I could actually even get anything substantial 🤣