newborn sleep

re-edited as my msg wasn't clear previously rest assured ive been feeding my newborn on a 2-3 hourly interval. however my newborn keeps waking up and cry during this 3 hr befr the next feeding, any ways to make them sleep thruout these 3 hours w/o crying?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Sorry to break it but baby esp newborn are still adjusting to the outside world. They are still new to everything. Their only communication is by crying. And yes sometimes they dont sleep long. As they dont have a routine yet. Theyll cry if their needs are not met. Can try massage tummy, i use telon oil or buds calming cream, swaddle them, use white noise, in dark room or dont turn on any light, if outside is noisy, close the window. Try to cuddle baby also. Or, increase his milk intake. I remember my baby spent most of his newborn phase esp birth - 1.5m mostly crying. Or if baby still crying can try feed milk again? Some mummies feed on demand and not by hour. My mistake during my baby’s newborn phase was i die die want to feed every 3hrs cs thats what we did in hosp without taking into consideration that baby might be already hungry

Read more

Feed baby based on their cry cues! I learnt this the hard way as i was previously too rigid on the feeding and only insisted on feeding baby at the 3 hour mark. I now swear by the cry cues and feed milk after learning her cry sounds which you can tell after a while, or by process of elimination- is she crying due to sleepy, poop/pee or hungry. Realised that my baby cries less now because she ‘trust’ me that i understand her needs when she let a small cry. So i think feeding based in cues instead of timing (your baby is not a machine) lets you understand your baby more and build that trust with baby that her needs are met when she ‘talks’ to you!

Read more

My #1 wakes up every 3 hrs for feeding up till she turns 1. While my #2 either wake up once or sleep through the night. No sleeping routine for them. I will ensure they have FM before bedtime and if middle of the night they are awake, it will be just BM. However, both kids has no sleeping routine esp at night. My #1 sleeping pattern was just like that throughout.

Read more

Newborn esp 1m shouldnt be having a routine much, and shouldnt sleep through the night as theyre still very very young! They should feed 2-3hrs to avoid dehydration. Sometimes they dont even sleep and have longer wake period than stated on internet. As theyre also still adjusting to the outside world. Once they hit 2.5-3m then theyll sleep thru the night

Read more

Are you serious? Asking a 1mo to sleep throughout the night? Baby needs food. As tired as you are, have more love for your baby.

it's better to feed baby responsively rather than force a schedule. she's crying because she has unmet needs.