Is it true that pregnant women should not eat too much pineapples during pregnancy?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

There are so many old-wives tales regarding pineapple and the female reproductive system in general. Growing up, I was always told not to eat pineapples during my period because it will lead to heavy bleeding and these days, I've been told that pineapples can weaken the cervix and potentially lead to miscarriage. Scientifically, this "myth" is based on the presence of a compound in pineapple called bromelain. The logic behind the pineapple myth is that bromelain breaks down proteins. Since your newly conceived baby is made up of proteins, consuming bromelain can cause bleeding and miscarriage. While bromelain capsules or tablets might increase the risk of miscarriage, eating a reasonable amount of fresh pineapple is very unlikely to do so. Personally, I would skip pineapples during pregnancy because I am not really a big fan of the fruit. Moreover, I'm the sort that will take all sorts of precautions - myth or not - just to reduce any negative consequences. If it means not eating pineapples -- then I'm okay with that.

Read more