Do all mums need to be sleep deprived?

I was told that im not sleep deprived enough. I know she didn't mean to say it in a bad way but im just taken aback. Am i really selfish and ignorant to wanting better nights? LO is on mix feed. After 12MN we'll give her FM instead and i dont pump in the wee hours. I just want to function better in the morning but can't help to feel that im not doing enough. #1stimemom

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I was the same as you! I gave my LO FM before sleep so she can sleep longer before waking up for next feed, which means I get to sleep longer too. I don’t pump in the wee hours as well, I find it taxing and mentally draining. For me, it’s simple. Night is for sleep, day is for work. Night feeds are definitely unavoidable when baby is born but sleep when baby is asleep. Who the heck cares how much less or more sleep mothers are getting? This isn’t a competition, are you the better mother with less sleep? Are you the better mother who pumps in the wee hours? Are you the better mother who gets to sleep all night without waking up? No right? All mothers are different. Our lifestyles are different and so are our schedules and body clocks. In my opinion, the person who said that to you IS THE SELFISH ONE.

Read more

It’s really so tough to be consistent with pumping. I’m 5 months PP next week and have been exclusively pumping since the start, have been trying to reduce supply since 4 months as intending to stop pumping completely by 6 months. I’ve only been getting max 4 hours sleep in a stretch and intermittent sleep for the rest of the night since forever!! Tbh sleep is so impt who cares what other people think? They’re not you. Happy mommy = happy baby. Doesn’t matter how the baby is being fed as long as she is fed!!

Read more

I used to only slp 3-4h the max every day.. because of covid i get to slp in better for these two wks 😅 u r not selfish because sometimes i also lazy to pump in the middle of the night heee!