Breastfeeding

I can't seem to deep latch. Tried so many times but my baby's mouth seems to be small. Is it ok not to deep latch? I mean as long as the baby still get the milk.

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hello dear, It's absolutely understandable that you're feeling concerned about deep latching. While a deep latch is generally recommended because it helps ensure your baby gets enough milk and can prevent nipple soreness, it's not the only way to successfully breastfeed. If your baby's mouth seems small, you might want to try different positions to help them latch better. The football hold or the side-lying position can sometimes make it easier for babies with smaller mouths to achieve a deeper latch. However, if your baby is gaining weight well and you're comfortable, then you're probably doing just fine. It’s important to monitor for signs like adequate wet diapers, your baby being satisfied after feeding, and consistent weight gain. To make things a little easier for you, you might find using a **breast pump** helpful to express milk and ensure your baby is getting enough. You can find a good one at this [link](https://invl.io/cll7h6h). This can also help alleviate any discomfort you might be experiencing from an imperfect latch. Remember, every mother-baby pair is unique, and what works for one may not work for another. It's all about finding what works best for you and your little one. If you continue to have concerns or if breastfeeding becomes painful, don’t hesitate to reach out to a lactation consultant. You’re doing great! Keep up the wonderful work. https://invl.io/cll6she

Read more
Thành viên VIP

In the early stages its abit tougher for a full latch but can continue practicing consistently. I usually aim for baby's upper lip to be at the top of the areola which seems to help. Around the second month the latch improved and lesser gulp of air so id say maybe baby got used to the nipple size. It helps that the baby has grown haha so kinda not so tiny beside an engorged boob

Read more
Influencer của TAP

wishing u & ur LO the best in your bf journey