Toddler 19M meltdown

I realised my toddler will roll on the floor when she doesn’t get what she wants. She will also scream and kick her legs. Is this normal? How do u deal with it

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Yea, meltdowns are developmentally normal and common for toddlers. Personally, I find that I am able to be more calm and patient with my toddler after I read up on the brain science of toddlers (which explains why they have meltdowns). I like to identify what usually triggers my toddler to throw a tantrum, and I will try my best to avoid putting her in that situation. If avoiding it is not possible, then I will try to distract her when she starts screaming. For example, direct her attention to something she likes, or bring her attention to a sound that can be heard in the background (“oh! can you hear the birds chirping / dog barking? Shall we be quiet so we can hear the birds/dog?”), or suggest to sing a song that she likes. If your child finds comfort in hugs, you can cuddle your child. If all else fails, just be patient and let your child release her frustration and calm down.

Read more