7 Replies

The Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT) is to diagnose Gestational Diabetes (GD). Since your sugar level is high, you should control your sugar intake in your daily diet using the machine. Doctor will advise you on the types of diets needed if you have GD. I have quite a number of friends developed GD and follow a very strict diets e.g. brown rice intake, eliminate all sugary food. After delivered the baby, their sugar level returned to the normal stage. GD must be carefully managed, as there are complications that may affect your baby If you have gestational diabetes, your baby may be at increased risk of: 1. Excessive birth weight. Extra glucose in your bloodstream crosses the placenta, which triggers your baby's pancreas to make extra insulin. This can cause your baby to grow too large (macrosomia). Very large babies — those that weigh 9 pounds or more — are more likely to become wedged in the birth canal, sustain birth injuries or require a C-section birth. 2. Early (preterm) birth and respiratory distress syndrome. A mother's high blood sugar may increase her risk of early labor and delivering her baby before its due date. Or her doctor may recommend early delivery because the baby is large. 3. Babies born early may experience respiratory distress syndrome — a condition that makes breathing difficult. Babies with this syndrome may need help breathing until their lungs mature and become stronger. Babies of mothers with gestational diabetes may experience respiratory distress syndrome even if they're not born early. 4. Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). Sometimes babies of mothers with gestational diabetes develop low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) shortly after birth because their own insulin production is high. Severe episodes of hypoglycemia may provoke seizures in the baby. Prompt feedings and sometimes an intravenous glucose solution can return the baby's blood sugar level to normal. 5. Type 2 diabetes later in life. Babies of mothers who have gestational diabetes have a higher risk of developing obesity and type 2 diabetes later in life. Untreated gestational diabetes can result in a baby's death either before or shortly after birth. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/gestational-diabetes/basics/complications/con-20014854

I would recommend the freestyle Optium Neo from Lazada. It's really affordable and comes with the free strips. In Malaysia it comes up to be about MYR 119. I'm not given the GTT test so tested myself for a few days (as I ran out of strips) to have an idea how my blood sugar is. It was within range so guess I don't have GTT

Me too. At first I can't accept, but literally after1 month, I learn to except. Sugar level is high during pregnancy is bcos our body does not have enough insulin due to e placenta. Need to strictly follow e passing rate on every meal to avoid early delivery or low blood sugar on baby

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-1475)

Super Mum

Did you doctor ask you to report back the readings to him/her? I was diagnosed with GD during pregnancy and have to rent the device to monitor my readings.

Yes it is recommended to keep a tab of your levels. Inspite of the medication and diet control, please take rest and avoid stress too.

thanks