I hope you had been in a similar situation to give me advice on this one. My friend is feeding her 6month old every hour, day and night, whenever the baby cries. She claims her lo cries for it, needs it. But its obvious that she accommodated to her baby's behaviour and isn't putting the baby on any schedule. I tried to talk to her but she doesn't want to listen. Do you have any advice on how I convince her that she's making her child behave as such and that she should try a different approach?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

What your friend is doing is actually called nursing on demand. There is nothing wrong with it and it is the most natural way to feed your baby - whenever he needs it. I nurse my baby on demand as well and I don't see the need for a different approach, lack of predictability is probably the only inconvenience. There are many benefits to nursing on demand including less stress for baby, baby decides how much he needs and how much to drink, as well as ensuring mum's supply is adequate and of a high quality. You may read more about the differences between nursing on demand and feeding on schedule here: http://www.parentingscience.com/infant-feeding-schedule.html

Read more