I bf and my 6-mth-old drinks frm a bottle when i'm at work. Recently he has totally refused to dl at all when i'm home or on wkends. (he'd keep unlatching and whining) We co-sleep and he would only dl when i'm sleeping at night. What is wrong and wat can i do to get him to dl more? I'm afraid it'd escalate to him only taking the bottle

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Baby will prefer bottle feeding is because the flow is instant and continuous. The baby is required to work very little. Once a baby has had a bottle, especially a lot of bottles, she may begin to prefer the ease of bottle-feeding over the work of breastfeeding. She may become frustrated at the breast after the first let-down occurs and the flow of milk begins to slow. You can try by pumping out your milk first and then latch so that the milk flow is established or It can be helpful to do some breast compression when this fussiness starts.This will help speed up the milk flow again. Once compression stops helping, try switching baby to the other side when she begins to fuss and back and forth again. Also you can try to breastfeed in a quiet and dim environment or when baby is in sleepy state before naps, this way you can also have a good time bonding with the baby. Another reason could be also that your 6 months old baby is teething and that the sucking motion of nursing would have caused discomfort or pain on his gums.

Read more

Sounds like a nursing strike -- a selective one. One of the reason why a baby goes on this strike is because breastfeeding has been on a strict schedule, timed feedings, or regular interruptions. Because baby is so used to the bottle in the day when you are at work, it is imprinted in his routine that he only takes the breast at night. Because your baby seems to accept the breast during bedtime, you can try to offer when baby is in a relaxed or sleepy state. Try breastfeeding while baby naps and use feeding positions baby likes best. When you are not feeding, hold baby against your skin, and stay that way as much as possible. This is soothing to both of you, and the hormones released from this skin-to-skin bonding will make baby more open to breastfeeding.

Read more

Milk flow from the breast tends to be slower and needs more effort to drink from. You should change the bottle teats to the slowest flow one to mimic the flow from the breast. Breastfed baby should not follow the changing of teat chart. They should always use the slowest flow teat. You can try not to be the one giving bottle to baby and only latches. So that baby will know that with you he can only latch, he will not get the bottle.

Read more
9y trước

Thanks!

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-4531)

Do u bottle feed by urself? If yes then u should stop doing that. Nipple confusion can happen anytime