Just want to rant about my first time breastfeeding journey

My husband and his MIL are not supportive of my breastfeeding journey. I am a FTM, and I just gave birth 1 week ago. I know all of this takes time to master the skill, and this is supply and demand one. But every time I told my husband, to open the book page for him to read about breastfeeding and latching position, he was somehow not interested to know this topic. Always got excused. Now, the MIL. His mother didn’t bfeed him. She is a very pro with formula milk. Every time she comes to our home, when I try to latch my baby, she likes to ask how? Got milk or not? How... does the baby want to drink? Then if she sees that the baby stops sucking or looks tired, she will comment “just give formula milk la”. I know she is really into formula milk. She won’t ask me to latch him when she is in our house and see the baby cries. I told her that all this takes time for my milk to have a bigger supply. I must breastfeed (supply and demand). If not he will have the habit with milk bottle, and I can’t produce milk. And this is for baby antibodies. But well what can I do when the senior mindset is already unsupportive from the start. Very hard to be convinced. Feeling sad and uncomfortable...

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Similar situation with me. My SIL insisted i had no breastmilk until i had engorgement and she started to panic. My confinement lady told me if in-laws don't allow to latch, at least pump every 2-3 hours. When my baby was 1 week old, my pumped BM was only 20ml each side. So i gave whatever i had and when baby wants milk before the next pump session, i will bring him into my room, away from my in-laws and latch him on. Week 2 came and my BM has been increasing. I stored my BM in the fridge (max 4 days) and forced my husband to stop making Formula Milk. My husband and SIL have been using my BM from the fridge ever since. I'll latch my baby at night when there's nobody to stress me out. Maybe you can try this method and tell your MIL that you have pumped BM on standby.

Read more