30 weeks and have max out my MC

Hi first time mummy here! I’m 30 weeks and I have already max out my MC. Can I request for HL at 30 weeks? Is it too early? I would like to get some rest. I’m working in a preschool setting and my thigh and back is hurting as I’m taking care of 24 months old children so the back pains get tougher now. Also I need to sit down on the floor bcos we need to be on the children’s eye level. Anyone have any advice on this? I’m under NUH private. I also heard my colleague from the same hospital and under private said that her gynae said it’s hard for them to give HL now and she got 1 week HL instead when she’s already 35 weeks as they need to ask for approval from the high management. I’m kind of tired too and just need a rest due to my work. #advice #firsttimemom

13 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Yes.. nowadays its very hard to issue HL.. i am a private patient under Thomson.. i did request HL from my gynae.. but he mentioned that now need to have valid reasons or unless preterm labour then they can issue longer HL.. if not most to most is 5/6 days max.. due to the tele-consultation thingy.. so MOH is very strict about it..

Read more

From what I’ve been hearing, doctors nowadays (esp govt hosp) will not issue HL for non medical reason. For issues like back pain etc it’s expected for all mums so it’s not an acceptable reason for them to issue HL cause their policies are quite strict!

Gynaes these days are very very careful about issuing hospitalisation leave. Almost do not issue if you request for it. They will only issue if you are really needing bed rest… and having very high risk pregnancy (as explained by a gynae to me)

I'm with KKH Private under Dr Michelle Loh. I'm at 32 weeks now. She granted me 2-week HL as I'm a PE teacher in primary school and my days get really busy and long so she has allowed me to rest due to back pain and pubic bone pain as well.

I’m 34 weeks pregnant and also working under the preschool sector. Understand your struggle very much and was denied HL too. Doctor told me that they might be able to give me HL only when I am around 38 weeks or nearer to due date lol hahahaha

2mo trước

So far, my gynae hasn't inquired much; perhaps I only requested 2 days rest and told her that my MC have max out. Despite mentioning my back and thigh pain, she simply dismissed it as normal, which seems amusing. Sometimes, it feels like they don't fully grasp our job demands but maybe now they're stricter due to people exploiting the tele consultations 😅

It depends on your gynae. Some are ok to give while for me, my first pregnancy, she told me to use my Maternity Leave or leaves. I was reluctant since I want to fully utilise my ML to care for my child. But in the end she gave haha.

Most likely you wont be getting HL. Nowadays using of HL has to be specific before issuing it out. Otherwise actions will be taken on the said doctor. They can't issue you out freely. Some may get 5/7 days otherwise lesser.

I got issued HL only at 35 weeks as I had history of preterm labour for my previous 2 pregnancies, nowadays hard to get HL due to the stricter requirements from MOH. You can try asking them for few days HL instead.

Hi! Was an NUH private patient from the preschool sector as well. Sadly my gynae only gave me 2 weeks HL at 37 weeks, gave birth at 38 weeks. I think they're more stricter giving out HL now :(

maybe can but what is the nature of your job? does it include work hazards etc. if not.. I heard Dr Aziz private clinic do give out HL

2mo trước

I work at a childcare center with toddler/playgroup where my responsibilities include ensuring the safety and well-being of the children under my care. Part of my role involves sitting on the floor, which allows me to be at eye level with the children, enhancing engagement, communication, and connection with them. Recently, I visited my dr who advised me to take 5 days of HL at 30 weeks of pregnancy. I'm aware it's too early to request a full 2-week leave, so I'm requesting just 2 days of rest. Thank you for suggesting the private clinic :)