Parents-in-law

Just feeling bit weird when I hear own sister, my girl friends and female colleagues sharing that how their PIL especially MIL will cook or got them some tonic foods or taking good care of them (even not staying together) when they were pregnant. I am currently going 21 weeks preg but till today my in-law didn’t get anything for me. Even when my family asked, they found disappointed why is my in-law behaving so. As if I mean nothing to my in-law family. My FIL is those listen to wife with no much of opinion and my MIL is usually e calling e shots type and don’t cook at home (I never seen her cook at all). I felt that she’s more into her son and DIL is just someone else in e family. As before our wedding I get to know she bought some tonic drinks for my hubby and gave him a angpao which I doesn’t have either. My hubby is quite protective towards his mum and he felt that they are modern family (somehow angmo style la) so all these are not important. Which I can never talk to him about these or say about his family otherwise we would ended up quarrelling. I do feel emo and angry whenever I thought of this. Which really also feeling disappointed. Hope they are behaving like this not because I’m carrying a baby girl 👧🏻 (my MIL wanted a grandson during reveal party). But my baby is their first and is their grandchild no matter what! 😭 (Update - 28 October 2022) Truth is, my MIL really can’t be bothered and only cares for her son. She told my hubby to get a helper if we can’t cope ourselves weeks before I delivered my girl (we didn’t even asked her to help lol). Then she refused to visit us after our girl born and even late for my girl 1 year old birthday party. She got NOTHING but at least a $50 angpao shared with my FIL for her very first grandchild just FYI. No gold or whatever if we’re talking about Chinese tradition. I’m not eyeing for anything from her, just feeling why I will such MIL treating me and my daughter like a known strangers. So cold hearted. 😣 #ParentsInLaw

21 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

my pil didn't cook for me any tonics during pregnancies too. eventhough I have two boys. but they gave me cash to buy tonics that I like. the reason is because they dunno what i like. haha.. sometimes I feel mil treat me differently from my hubby too. haih. what to do?! old people mentality. they always view dil as second class..

Read more

I guess another factor is your relationship with your in laws. Like did you do anything for them as well and how’s the relationship. I think my in laws also see me diff from their son. I didn’t do much too so I didn’t expect much too

3y trước

I always put my in-law as priority, e most simple like as what they wants to eat and we will just follow and bring them go.. Like when I went holidays I will get things for them but if u wanna talk about what “return” or what I am expecting here, e answer was only one-sided.. I’m always e one trying to break e ice.. which I can tell u are not e in e same situation as me

treat in law as friend so that u won't feel bad or expect anything from them I'm glad that I don't need to interact with in laws 😅 hubby will deal with them, he will filter whatever they say b4 tell me

Thành viên VIP

being sad is definitely unavoidable and especially if hubby is not on ur side. continue to be stong n let things slowly flow in future. have u try being nice to ur mil like those can chit chat etc?

Thành viên VIP

My in-laws also didn’t buy for me anything. I am ok cause not so close afterall, I made my husband made it up. 👍🏻 stay positive and don’t quarrel over these. Our babies have us to dote!

Dont be upset because my own family n in laws didnt prepare anything for me. But my fil has bought some small gold jewellery for my girl. Im in my week 20s. :)

3y trước

I have no one to remind me on anything. Sometimes i feel my in laws treat me better. My dad is living in his world with my brother

Are you and your in laws close? Not staying together right? It’s not unusual because my in laws also didn’t do anything for me haha

Thành viên VIP

my mil also didn't buy or cook anything special when I am preggie with #1 and #2, though we are staying together. just like that lor.

3y trước

Omg! You’re strong!

Think positive at least your mil dont meddle into your life. Bless that you have your own privacy.

It's ok! Get anything that you want yourself! I go out alone to satisfy my cravings too hehehehe.