Santa exists - yay or nay?

Do you encourage your kids to believe in Santa Claus? Why/why not? :)

17 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I was only 8 when Princess Diana passed away. I wept out of shock when I brutally learned that Princesses DON'T actually live forever. I doubted everything from then on because fairytales and cartoons were very real to me. Suddenly the easter bunny was just some rodent now🤣from then on, I wasn't as invested as before but still enjoyed some fictitious characters and what they represented. I never fully believed that the "real" Santa would make it to Africa though, so I wwasn't attached. I don't know how but I'll try to strike a balance between fiction and reality(a bit of a complex subject though if one considers life to be spiritual and full of miracles). Hubby and I actually experience some things that seem like fiction/fairytales to others in this physical world.

Read more

Yes, I do, because I think that the best part about being a kid is that we are allowed to believe in fairytales, wonderlands, magic, etc., and remembering my childhood I really cherish those memories where my mum used to tell me such stories. On Christmas I would wait for Santa to get me a gift, though eventually I did discover that Santa was none other than my mom and dad. So, I guess we should let children know the world of imagination because it is a major reason of awe in their lives. And as kids grow up they on their own figure out about the reality and the fantasy world. So, why not let them live that make-believe moments.

Read more

I wouldn't really "encourage" them to believe in Santa Claus but I wouldn't burst their bubble also. If I were to encourage this belief, and they do grow up believing it, they might feel cheated y'know? As they grow older, they will realise for themselves so I guess just let things flow? haha

Believing in Santa Claus can also benefit children's development as an avenue for creativity, imagination and play, but expect the questioning to get serious somewhere between the ages of 7 and 10.

I think that's okay, Santa is a part of Christmas tradition. But teach them the true meaning of Christmas and the nativity so they will know the importance of the Christmas season.

yay! it's fun and fantasy when you're young. Not sure if there are any negative effects from allowing them to believe in this because look at us all. We turned out fine! (mostly)

Thành viên VIP

I don't encourage the belief of Santa Claus, but we encourage the spirit of giving instead! Every special occasion we have is seen as a way to give back :)

well now my kids are in their middle 20s but once I have my new baby I will strongly encourage him/her to believe in Santa at least until they get 15-17!

Nope. For us, forcing them to believe in Santa Claus deviates the real essence of CHRISTmas.

2y trước

havent thought of that joey! but you make sense too

of course. they will realise on their own that Santa doesn't exist when they grow up.