Hospitalized at 30w due to pre term labour contractions. Induction at 37, 38 or 39 weeks?

Dear mummies, I have been hospitalized since week 30. When I was admitted, I was given magnesium sulphate and dexa to tone down the contractions. The contractions stopped but my cervix dilated to 5 cm and doctor advised not to discharge as I may deliver at home. I have been hospitalized since then for 7 weeks. I am 37 weeks today. OB advised that I can induce anytime now and deliver the baby if I want to be discharged. However, I am undecided as articles online from the US mentioned it's best to wait until 39 weeks. But it would also mean I need to stay in hospital for 2 more weeks. I want the best for my baby and torn apart on what to do. Can fellow mummies share your experience? Thank you.

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

37 weeks is totally safe and is considered as full term baby. I gave birth to 3 of my kids at 37 weeks. They're well and healthy till today. Another child of mine was born pre term at 36 weeks. Like you, my cervix was dilated at 4cm @ 34 weeks and I was hospitalised since then. Given 2 painful steroid jabs on both butt 12 hrs apart. Until on the 36th week, my girl was distressed inside my womb and I was made to deliver her prematurely to safe her. She is well and healthy today as well. Follow what your gynae advice as they know more better than you based on your condition. All the best!

Read more

Mine was induced at 37weeks full term and my baby girl is born healthy and she's quite energetic nowadays. Don't worry about the article, listen to your heart and your gynae team. All the best mummy!! U can do it!