Friends who wants to be godma but MIA during my pregnancy journey.

My close friends are either single or without kids so they don’t understand how mentally and physically tired I am during this period. Before pregnancy, they are constantly asking when I am going to have a baby and they are so excited to be godma. Once I am pregnant, most of them turned into ghost. Even for the baby shower, which “godma” gives 1 bottle of baby lotion as present? Am I expecting too much from my friends to be supportive? I won’t even do that to an acquaintance.

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Before I have my own kid, I was like your friends. The last thing I want to is to babysit or face a kid. I like my peace, so I’ll probably only visit you like once or twice in a few months, or maybe years. (In this case, it was my own sister. Too many kids, too noisy for me.) Moving on the supportive part, how do you define supportive? To babysit or monetary terms? For me, I don’t expect anything cause end of the day, godparents or not, it’s still not their kids. They have no obligations to ask or visit my kids if they don’t want or not free to. Unfortunately but fact is that, other than your own husband, any other support or help from anyone else is a bonus 😂 Close both eyes and focus on your baby. 🫰🏻Don’t stress yourself over all these. From a very sleep deprived mum 🥹

Read more

For me, I did not have a good relationship with my ‘godma’ which my mum paired me with when I was baby. Thankfully now the relationship is officially over. I do not have to meet her or she does not have to give me Ang Bao out of obligation. I do not want any of my friends to be godma or whatever. They ask. I’ll just ask so you will give Ang Bao every year right? They scared already, say don’t want. Or I’ll laugh laugh, say you want you just come see can already. No need godma relationship. Bo liao only if they don’t mean it. They don’ t know what’s the meaning of godma. Well not that it is a written contract but They probably want it for fun. Unless u ok with all your close friends casually being the godma.

Read more