3 Replies

I totally understand how u feel as I'm a pri sch teacher too! I had my first child in Dec 2020 and I felt the exact same way last year when I was still working. Especially just aft the CB when sch reopened, I kept feeling lethargic. I was managing a P1 class which was on the 3rd floor so I had to bring the class up and down for recess and aft sch. My feet were so swollen, it hurt so bad and my asthma got worse. I was lucky tt my RO kept asking me how I was coping and she helped to arrange some teachers to bring my class up so tt I cld take the lift. Inevitably too there were times I had to take MC due to my asthma. So throughout my 2nd to 3rd trimester, I did up a rather detailed monthly lesson plan for myself. Whenever I had to be absent, I'll just fwd the day's plan to the relief- in-charge. I also made self-directed worksheets for my class and informed my monitor abt it in case I'm not ard. What I learned is tt my health comes first. Talk to your RO abt how u're coping. Perhaps he/she can help to work out an arrangement for u. Our teacher colleagues are generally understanding of a pregnant mother's plight so don't be afraid to ask for help. My level teachers also always help me to inform my relief of what to do in my absence. Also, you may want to start thinking abt whether u wld like to take HL prior to EDD. For me, I was given 6 wks HL prior to EDD as my asthma didn't get better. Typically if u dont have any health condition, a private gynae may still be able to give u 1-2 weeks HL prior to EDD. Wld be gd to get as u need all the rest u can get before baby arrives (:

So blessed to have your reply! Thank you so much for the insight and support and advice 💖🙏🏼 I will try to let my RO in the loop of my plight often and hope she can be of some help. Congrats on your newborn and hope you're resting well too!

Maybe get your doctor to write you few days of MC so you can rest? Or no choice take sabbatical leave (unpaid) until after you give birth. But maybe try offer to do zoom with your students at least?

No, u are not . Don't feel so guilty about what you are facing now . Perhaps , why not get some days of annual leave , so u could rest a lil more at home

Sadly for teachers we don't have such thing as Annual Leaves.. we only follow the school holiday schemes which only happens during school holidays... and other leaves only covers Child Care, Parent Care, Sitting for exam, Marriage, Compassionate :(

Trending Questions