depression? or just tired

My baby is 1 month old but I'm having a hard time trying to cope with baby feeding and exclusively pumping. Yesterday baby woke up at 4am to feed half way and fall asleep. Woke up at 5am to feed again. Then I had to pump from 5-6am. Rested another 30 min and baby started crying for next feed. Half the night I couldnt sleep and wonder how am I going to cope with a new day ahead. At times I just wan to give up and leave, at times when I'm frustrated I man handled baby a little. I'm wondering am I just a bad mom, or am I depressed. Thinking of next pump that might coincide with baby next feed gives me so much anxiety. And I have been crying alot whenever I cant cope with pump + baby crying. Do I need help??

13 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I’m an EP mum and went through the same. First things first - depression is normal and you should seek all the help you can get (in terms of helping out in baby caregiving as well as emotional support). Don’t ever feel like there’s something wrong with you or that you’re not a good mum. As for the night feeds, I did fixed intervals so it was every 3-4hours ie I wake baby up to drink milk if he doesn’t wake up by 4 hours. Husband takes the shift up till midnight, then I take over from there, meaning earliest feed duty for me is 3am. So, I will pump around 9pm, go to bed around 10-1030, wake up around midnight to 1am to pump (depending on whether I want to drag out my pumping interval). Then wake up at 4am, or earlier if baby wakes earlier, feed baby plus burp (yes can take up to 1 hr), then pump for 15min, then sleep. Then repeat 3-4 hrs later. In between, baby may fuss and I will put pacifier, pat pat or carry to put him back to sleep. In the day, try to sleep when baby naps. And even though everyone says this, it usually only means you get 1-1.5hr nap if you’re lucky, because you still need to eat, pump, have some me-time etc Jiayou!

Read more
Super Mom

Hi dear, your schedule is so exhausting that it’s completely normal to feel the way you’re feeling. First of all, is there someone who can help you with feeding baby at night? Secondly, are you able to dream feed baby or wake baby up to finish the feed in one sitting so that you don’t have to split the feeding? Thirdly, does your pump have a stronger setting (if electric)? My pump can empty the breasts in 15 minutes, so that really helps save time and gives me more time to sleep. Please don’t feel that you’re a bad mum. I can already feel the love and dedication you have for your baby. But I do feel that you need some help. Both physically and emotionally. Who else is living with you?

Read more
4y trước

she falls asleep, I don’t wake her up intentionally to burp her. But only for middle of the night feeds. As for your husband, thank you for being so kind and considerate towards him, but do remember that you’re also working at home 24/7. So you can’t do this alone. You’re just going to burn out before you know it, and one day you won’t be able to look after your baby anymore. You need his support. He can do a very simple thing to just wake up once, for 10 minutes, to wash the pump, put the parts in the sterilizer and switch it on. That’s all! And it’ll help you so greatly. If you’re pumping so close to his waking time already, he doesn’t even need to wake up in the middle of the night. He can just wake up 15 minutes earlier to do that before he gets ready for work. It’s not too much to ask for, and this form of expressing love is what you need the most right now, not just him saying he loves you. Now, I’m just going to say this bluntly.. if you feel you can’t cope with exclusive pum

What I did was not to pump when alone.. so anytime baby wan to drink, there is supply unless u have plenty.. I also only night time that few hrs has hub ard to look after but after 10pm it is back to me and baby.. if you just express out, don't force yourself, just feed formula.. dun stress yourself.. Night time 10+pm, I feed formula as it last longer so u can sleep, then ard 2+3am he will wake up wanting milk, as breastmilk digest faster.. You can do it..

Read more

Hi mummy, join the FB breastfeeding mummies sg fb group if you haven’t. If you direct latch you might not need to pump out. The group can advise on the workaround schedule accordingly. Otherwise, we mothers know the day is long and the year is short. I had similar down time but hey suddenly my LO is already 2yo. Jiayou, mummy.

Read more
Super Mom

Initially it’s really v stressful but it will get better! Do ask for help as when u are too stressed then u ask for help, you might explode. Get little help here and there first before u burn out. Husband, your mum etc

Thành viên VIP

I feel you. Lack of sleep can make me cry too but please do not manhandle your baby. Can you try seeking help from your spouse to carry and soothe your baby while you pump? Or try to direct latch and not pump?

Super Mom

Hi mummy, it's normal. I was holding my baby and crying a few times during that period of time too! JY! It will get better and better! You are doing great!

Influencer của TAP

Hi mummy it's normal. Don't stress yourself so much you're just tired with the new life. Everything will be over soon!

Influencer của TAP

It's normal! Hugs hugs. I had a hard time coping when I took care of baby myself during ml too.

You might be getting a bit depressed. Talk to your hubby or get some professional help.