Overfeeding or underfeeding newborn? I need help because my baby would not sleep/nap well.

My 3kg, day 21 newborn, already drinks 80ml expressed breastmilk in bottle and may sometimes still be hungry and asking for more. Once, we gave additional up till 120ml per feed and baby projectile vomit when being lied down. Baby is passing motion and urinating well, no diarrhoea or constipation. However, amount of milk seems a lot for a newborn but he is constantly hungry and he will grunt and cry when we try to burp him. Should I visit a paediatrician?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi fellow mummy. I am a FTM and also learning on this journey…my baby is 17 days young, about 4kg now. She drinks 90ml EBM every 2 hourly during day time. But sometimes, she won’t go into sleep or will wake up after just ~30mins then do the mouth sucking action again. She won’t sleep until being fed again - we usually top up with 30ml fm (my bm supply is not enough). For night feed, she drinks 60ml fm and can sleep better than day time. I did check with my PD previously and was told that sign of overfeeding is vomiting (take 2 full palm size of an adult as guide), spitting milk is not. Our usual practice to help baby to release stomach gas and prevent regurgitation after drinking is to burp first > then carry her in upright position for 10-15mins before putting her back into cot. PD also mentioned it could be just a grow spurt. As long as diaper output is normal, sleep well and baby is gaining weight, not to worry too much:)

Read more
1t trước

I do paced feeding too if baby is constantly showing sign of hunger and wants to drink more

My baby 3.2kg at first she was drinking 70mlevery 2h PD said i was over feeding so reduced to 60-50ml every 2h try swaddling baby baby might be colic sometimes whne they cry it’s not hungry can be gas,diaper need change and needs some comfort best is to ask PD for advice

Your baby might be on a growing spurt period.