Help Please

My 3 year old boy is naturally affectionate and likes to hug and sometimes kiss people(his classmate/schoolmate) on the cheek. I have gotten feedback from his teachers on this behaviour and i feel so embarassed. For this issue to be raised to me,it seems like a problem although in the beginning i felt that kids were just being kids and maybe my son was just too friendly. I know he doesn't mean any harm and he just hugs and lets go, thats it. I have reminded him countless of times but he still does it. Anybody with tried and tested advices?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mom

Try offering him alternatives? For example, shaking hands, high-5s... Talk to him about his feelings and thoughts, like what makes him want to hug and kiss a particular classmate. Does he like that classmate or is he happy to be around that classmate? If so, then teach him that different people like to be friends in different ways, and to receive love in different ways. You can tell him that hugs and kisses are for daddy, mummy and people very close to him. For friends, the alternatives mentioned above are good choices. Practise these new methods of showing friendship with him and help him get excited about trying them out in school. Get him comfortable with talking to his classmates too, with phrases he can say to be friendly, instead of using the hugs and kisses. You’ve raised a loving boy:) Social etiquette is something that kids will need time to learn. Hope things become better for you soon!

Read more

Got the same feedback from teacher my girl was 17 month old. Wasnt embarrassed, just jealous of her classmates.

Thành viên VIP

The girl used to be affectionate too but she grew out of it suddenly.