When to see gynae ?

#1stimemom Hi, just tested positive on PT when my period is later for 3 days. Since it is probably 3-4 weeks, should I see a gynae ? Do I go to hospital or Women clinics at neighbourhood kind ? Sorry, kind of loss. Not sure what to do.

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

hi there, congratulations! it depends whether you want to go under subsidised under govt hospitals or private. I went under private route with Thomson medical so I just called in directly to schedule my appointment with the gynae. if I'm not wrong, subsidised route you can visit a polyclinic to get referral for govt hospitals. 4 weeks is usually too early for an ultrasound scan to see much, I would suggest going in from at least 6 weeks and onwards unless there is any symptoms you are concerned about. At 6 weeks and 2 days, I was able to hear the baby's heartbeat. I went in too early for my first appointment at 4 weeks plus and the sac was so small it was uncertain to conclude anything from the ultrasound which made me worried. Take care & do start on folic acid! :)

Read more
2y trước

Yeap. To add on, yes you can go to polyclinic to get a referral already. Since you will also have to wait for an appt. Agree that 6 weeks is usually a good time. I saw my embryo’s heartbeat at 5 weeks. Also agree on starting on folic acid. Just buy from guardian or watsons, 5mg is good. Usually that’s what gynae would recommend. Ask the pharmacist for the 5mg one. They will show you where. Dont buy the “branded” ones. Like the supplement brands. Because those are only 400microgram most of the time, not miligrams.

You can call in and schedule an appointment around 7- 8 weeks as anything before that you might not be able to scan anything (too small). Go to women’s clinic (neighbourhood/hospital both is fine depending on whether you have a preferred gynae & where the gynae is located at).