Scalini's Eggplant Parm for Labor
- 3 medium eggplants
- Olive oil
- 1 cup flour
- 6 eggs , beaten
- 8 cups marinara sauce
- 4 cups fine Italian bread crumbs
- ½ cup Romano cheese , grated
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese , grated
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese , shredded
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- Marinara Sauce
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp garlic , chopped
- 1 cup white onions , chopped
- 8 cups canned tomatoes , diced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp red pepper , crushed
- ½ cup parsley , chopped
- 1/8 cup sweet basil , chopped
- Salt and pepper
- After washing the eggplants, drain its excess liquid. Slice them into ¼ in pieces and arrange them on a paper towel. Sprinkle salt onto them and cover with another layer of paper towel. Let it set for an hour.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large pot. Add onions and saute until they’re translucent. Add garlic and continue to saute for another minute. Add tomatoes and stir. Bring it to a boil and then reduce the heat. Place the remaining ingredients and stir. Allow for it to simmer for an hour.
- While your sauce simmers, begin to dust each slice of eggplant with flour, dip in beaten eggs and coat with bread crumbs. In a skillet, heat olive oil and add eggplants. Cook each side until golden brown.
- In a baking dish, alternate layers of marinara sauce, eggplants, ricotta, parmesan and romano cheese (in that order) untl the baking dish is filled about 1/8 in from the top. Top it with mozzarella and bake for 25mins under 375 degrees. Remove from the oven and let it sit for 10mins before serving.
Please be mindful of any allergies you and/or your family may have before you try out this recipe.