- ¾ cup Panda brand black licorice sticks , very finely chopped
- 4 ½ cups whole milk
- ¼ tsp salt
- Sugar divided (1/3 cup and 2 ½ tbsp)
- Cornstarch , divided (1 tbsp plus 2 tsp)
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tbsps unsalted butter
- Best with: almond cakes
- In a large saucepan, add licorice, salt, 4 cups milk, and 1/3 cup sugar and stir frequently over low heat (do not let boil). Keep stirring until licorice until completely dissolved.
- Increase to medium heat, bringing milk mixture to a simmer.
- In a separate bowl, combine cornstarch and remaining milk. Whisk this into licorice mixture and simmer, whisking, 2 minutes to thicken.
- In a bowl, whisk egg yolks and remaining 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar until combined evenly. Add hot milk mixture in a slow stream, still whisking. Return to saucepan and cook on medium heat. Keep stirring until and check temperature with a thermometer. It should register 170°F.
- Using a fine-mesh sieve, pour into a bowl and stir in butter until combined well.
- Cover pudding’s surface with a round of wax paper and chill pudding for at least 4 hours.
- Before serving, gently whisk pudding and serve with an almond cake.
- Makes 6 servings.
Please be mindful of any allergies you and/or your family may have before you try out this recipe.