Hey parents. Me and my wife are big horror movie fans, and we also want to share our interests with our kid. When do you think we can start introducing him to horror films?

20 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

As parents who love horror movies, my spouse and I understand the desire to share our interests with our child. However, deciding when to introduce them to horror films requires careful consideration. Every child is different, and what might be appropriate for one may not be suitable for another. Generally, experts recommend waiting until children are older, typically around the age of 10 or older, before introducing them to horror movies. Before deciding, it's essential to consider your child's personality, temperament, and sensitivity to scary or intense content. Some children may be more resilient and able to handle scary movies at a younger age, while others may find them too distressing or have nightmares. When the time does come to introduce horror movies, it's crucial to start with age-appropriate films that are not overly frightening or graphic. Choose movies with a lower level of intensity and scare factor, such as classic monster movies or family-friendly horror comedies. Additionally, watch the movies together as a family and be available to discuss any questions or concerns your child may have. Encourage open communication and reassure them that it's okay to feel scared and that what they see on screen is not real. Ultimately, the decision to introduce your child to horror movies should be based on their individual maturity level and your comfort level as parents. Proceed gradually, monitor their reactions, and always prioritize their emotional well-being.

Read more