Ask the expert series: Tips to handle your baby’s night wakings?

NOTE: Drop your questions below this post. ⚠️ Does your baby keep you up all night? 💤👶 Those midnight cries and endless wake-ups can feel overwhelming, leaving you exhausted and in search of answers. Well, fret not, because I've got your back! 🤗 Join me for an exclusive #AskTheExpert session, where we'll dive deep into the below topic: 📣 Topic: How to Handle Your Baby's Night Wakings? 🗓️ Date: 20th September, 2023 🕒 Time: 8pm to 9pm Here's what you can expect: 💤 Strategies to soothe your little one. 🌜 Tips for establishing healthy sleep routines. 😓 Insights into common causes of night wakings and how to address them. Warm regards, Ms. Amber Lim Clinical Psychologist MPsy(Clinical)

Ask the expert series: Tips to handle your baby’s night wakings?
32 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Can you recommend any books, websites, to read up on managing my baby's night wakings?

9mo trước

Healthhub: https://www.healthhub.sg/programmes/183/parent-hub/baby-toddler/baby-sleep is a useful and reliable resource :)

How to between a sleep regression and baby's normal developmental sleep changes?

9mo trước

Sleep regressions are usually be temporary and your baby sleep would return to normal after a period of regression. However, if your baby sleep needs change, you may notice your baby appearing more alert close to bed time and it could indicate that they are ready to have less or shorter naps.

What self-soothing techniques can teach baby to fall back asleep independently?

9mo trước

Self-soothing is developmentally appropriate if your baby is above 4 months old. If you do decide on sleep training, the most effective methods are those that involve helping your baby unlearn sleep associations they can’t independently manage (e.g. rocking or feeding) and learn new sleep associations (e.g. routine, or a comfortable blanket) that they can manage.

How to differentiate between baby waking due to hunger and other reasons?

9mo trước

This depends on your baby’s age. Generally, if your baby is waking up from hunger, he/she should fall back asleep easily after feeding. However if your baby is unable to settle even after feeding, there may be other reasons like physical discomfort, or even normal awakenings as part of their normal sleep cycle.

How to handle growth spurts without compromising baby's sleep schedule?

9mo trước

It is possible for sleep regression to happen during growth spurts. This regression would usually be temporary and are normal part of development. Expect some disruptions, however maintaining a consistent routine, even during the spurts, will be helpful to help your child settle back into a normal routine. Take care!

How to create a sleep-conducive environment in my baby's room?

9mo trước

A cool, dim, and quiet environment can be conducive for your baby’s sleep.

how does baby's daytime nap schedule impact nighttime sleep?

9mo trước

This depends on your baby’s developmental age, sleep needs, and your expected bedtime. Generally. new borns need between 14 to 17 hours of sleep, and older infants (4 - 11 months) need about 12 to 15 hours of sleep a day. This includes daytime naps, especially for newborns as they rarely sleep through the night. If you notice that your baby (above 4 months old), is having difficulties falling sleeping at night, but sleeps well otherwise, you could try encouraging an earlier nap to help your child build sleep pressure for your desired bed time. You could either experiment around to find a napping schedule, or obtain professional help to develop a bedtime fading strategy. Bedtime fading is an evidence-based intervention programme that can be helpful to help your baby build sufficient sleep pressure for nap times.

what can I do to comfort my baby when he has nightmares?

9mo trước

Depending on whether your baby is awake or asleep, you can comfort your baby as you would comfort him/her when he/she is awake. However it’ll be helpful to place your baby back in his/her crib *before* he/she falls back asleep. If he/she does fall asleep and awaken after you place him/her down, you can try hand settling (i.e. gentle, rhythmic patting) to help your baby feel sleepy, and stop when you notice him/her becoming drowsy.

does growth spurts lead to more frequent night wakings?

9mo trước

These periods can be exhausting for parents! Was your child a good sleeper previously? At times, growth spurts, teething, illness, learning of new skills or changing naptimes can lead to sleep regressions. This regression would usually be temporary and are normal part of development. If your child was a good sleeper previously, he/she should sleep well after this period.

how to ensure baby sleeps throughout after feeds?

9mo trước

This depends on the developmental age of your baby, as younger babies need more frequent feeds. Additionally, if your baby is experiencing discomforts, it can be hard for him/her to return to sleep. If your baby isn’t waking from hunger, is well, and is having difficulties returning to sleep, you can consider sleep training if your baby is above 4 months old. If you do decide on sleep training, there are different methods, and the most effective ones are those that involve helping your baby unlearn sleep associations they can’t independently manage (e.g. rocking or feeding) and learn new sleep associations (e.g. routine, or a comfortable blanket) that they can manage.