My 3 year old is still not toilet trained. She knows when she wants to pee or poop and if I remove her diaper and put her on the toilet seat, she will just not do it. But after a while either I make her put on the diaper or she forces me to put it on for her and then she'll relieve herself. There have been number of incidents accidents when I have left her off diapers and she's done it on the floor. Then she will come and tell me that she's done it. I see lot of Indian kids around being trained at a young age whereas when I read up on Babycentre about Europe and US, it's considered normal if the child is not trained till they are about 5. My issue is she'd be starting Nursery next year and the schools here require her to be fully toilet trained. Any tips will be very much appreciated.

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Healthy children aren't physically and emotionally ready to start using a potty until they are between 18 months and three years old. Boys tend to be ready a few months later than girls. Most parents start the training when their children are between two years and three years old. Very importantly is that you must ensure that your child is ready for potty training. While he's potty training, your child will be looking to you for positive reinforcement of his new skills. Don't disappoint him. Whenever he moves on to a new step or tries to use his potty, tell him he's doing well, and that you're proud of him. Though don't go so overboard with praise that he becomes nervous and afraid to fail, as this may lead to more accidents. Virtually every child will have accidents before being completely trained during the day and at night. Try not to get angry or punish your child. Mastering the process will take time. When he has an accident, calmly clean it up, and suggest that next time he tries using his potty.

Read more

Like what the rest having mentioned, being patient is key. If your child is resistant, try taking a break from the training and resuming after a couple of weeks. I think if the reason that you are worried is because of her starting nursery, you can relax a little. Going to nursery may actually help as she will get to see her peers going to the toilet on their own. She may learn from them and would want to do so herself too. Just for your reference, here is an article on when to start potty training: http://sg.theasianparent.com/when-should-i-begin-potty-training-my-toddler/ And here's one with some useful tips on how to go about doing it: http://www.parents.com/toddlers-preschoolers/potty-training/tips/potty-training-tips/#page=1

Read more

Try talking to your child about the ill effects of pottying on the floor and anywhere except toilet. Be firm on not making her wear a diaper. Let her cry or be stubborn that she would not ease. But children have the smart trick of testing our limits and the restrictions we lay on them. By being firm, we are not going to be a bad parent. Even though patience is the key, sometimes being firm also helps. Show her some pics of worms that grow in potty. Explain her that if she potties in the floor and even after cleaning it, there are some germs not visible to the human eye and that it may get into he food accidentally. Educating her on the ill effects of pottying outside toilet, will ease out your worries.

Read more

All children are different. Don't compare n give stress to yourself n your precious. My gal had her diapers to school till 3.5 yrs old. Like ur lo, my gal knows when to pee n poo but not comfortable to be in the toilet yet. Diapers have been their trusty friend n they are used to it. It took my gal some effort n courage to remove her diaper n go to toilet. Each successful attempt, we made a great deal. Gave her sticker n clapped for her. Told her good job n she is a big gal now. With her going through the developmental stage, we shld be mindful not to scold or shame them if she/he pees or poos out wo diaper. Smile n encourage n say 'it is ok, u will remember to go toilet the next time'.

Read more

Please take things slowly. You can't rush through potty training. Patience is the key factor to successful potty training. Once you've determined that your son is ready to start, focus on timing. Be sure your child's routine is well established. If he's just started preschool or has a new sibling, he may be less receptive to change or feel too overwhelmed to tackle this new challenge. Toddlers learn by imitation, and watching you use the bathroom is a natural first step. He may notice that Daddy uses the potty differently than Mommy does, which creates a great opportunity for you to explain the basic mechanics of how boys use the bathroom.

Read more

hi shibha, u have to remember every child is an individual....different. each takes own time to learn...some are quick ...some slow but no less. i will say, do not worry. one day she will sit on it. you could try giving her mobile or tablet to watch cartoon or phonetics. tell her she will get to watch on potty seat. or offer her candy or lollypop after poop. i want to tell you one thing, incase other mummies show-off about their childrens' achievements...do not feel bogged down. most face same situation like you but do not tell. i am sure, you will see her sitting on potty seat :-)

Read more

The rest offered you great advise. My sharing is on my 2years 3 months son wanted to be toilet train himself when he saw his sister 4years old peeing and pooing in the toilet. But after the third day, he told me himself, mummy i want to be on diapers. I take it that he's not ready. Another example of my friend's daughter. Because of peer pressure, her Nursery schoolmates not wearing diapers, she too opted not to wear diaper to school.

Read more

I agree with the others not to rush thru things. Potty training age differs in each country but in more advanced ages it happens between 3-5 years of age. In less developed economies it happens historically earlier because diapers are very expensive and people want to stop spending money on diapers. There is a also a small segment of the population tht is "kiasu" and needs to be first at everything.

Read more

Toilet training cant be rushed. You can only provide support and encouragement. Each child grow differently and at a different pace. Please slow down and dont force it on your child. The school requires, but they can assist you as well. Do not worry much.

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-4499)