Breastfeeding

Hi mummies! If I am latching baby on demand throughout the day, how often do I need to pump to maintain my supply? Isit necessary to pump after every feed or is latching sufficient? Please advice. TIA ?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mom

If you continue to latch, you will likely have enough supply to feed your baby, because your body will respond according to how much your baby needs. However, if you want to build up a store of milk, then you need to produce excess milk, beyond the current needs of your child, so that you can keep that for future use. In that case, it’s better to pump on top of latching. For example, you can pump 1 hr after latching, so that you get some milk to store, and some time to refill before your baby’s next feed. This timing is just a suggestion:)

Read more
Super Mom

I had issue with supply during the early days so I'd pump every 3 hours (5 hours max) for half an hour, and if pumping session coincides with feeding time, I'd just pump for 10-15mins. Using a double electric pump. I was also building freezer stash for my return to work. But bear in mind pumping in the early days might cause oversupply (although didn't apply to me). Otherwise if you are only latching and don't need a stash, you can just use the haakaa pump to collect milk on the other side while baby latch.

Read more
Thành viên VIP

I latch on demand and only pump if I want to let baby drink from bottle (when I’m consuming alcohol). Your supply will increase if you pump after every feed because you send a signal to your body to generate more milk. So to prevent from having engorgement and mastitis I would suggest you to just latch on demand don’t have to pump. Unless you miss a feed then you pump. And breast will take roughly 30 mins to be full again.

Read more
Thành viên VIP

For me, latching on demand was sufficient to maintain supply. But if you need to build a stash, you can pump after every feed to signal to your body that you need more milk. Select a mode to avoid injuring your breasts.

Influencer của TAP

You can use haakaa to collect the leak milk and store. And also use it to release the milk if you feel full latching is enough unless you feel full.

Influencer của TAP

I pump to increase my supply which is very low

Thành viên VIP

I latch on demand, only pump boobs hurt

Thành viên VIP

Many would pump = more output!