Breastfeeding / Pumping

Hi Mummies, i am currently 4 month postpartum and my milk is decreasing. Any recommendation to boost my milk supply? I only manage to do powerpumping every day only at night , as in the day i have to do housechores and send my toddler to school. My 4 month old have gotten sick back to back so i didnt let her latch much as i'm afraid she will get dehydrated. But ever since then, my milk keep dropping cause i didnt let her latch or she just too tired to even latch as much. She got sick often as her brother started playground. So for now about 3 month they get sick every or two week. The stress of taking care of newborn toddler all alone as husband works. And the thought of housechore keep compiling. And i really want to breastfeed my child but my supply is very low. #pleasehelp #advicepls #tiredness

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

In my opinion, due to your schedule it’s very hard for you to slot in 3 hourly pumping which caused your supply to drop. As our milk works on demand and supply, I don’t think anything will help now (unless you’re oversupply from the start which is not the case). Dropping pumps/latch sessions signals your body that you don’t need that much milk. The only way is to not skip pumps and drink more water. Take supplements if you feel it can help (I take legendairy milk supplements). Also, stress will cause your supply to decrease as well. If your baby is sick, you can offer breastmilk instead of not latching/pumping out for her. Our bm has antibodies to help them. What I can advise is, give what you have then top up with formula. Don’t stress too much. Good luck!

Read more

Stress, lack of rest, not latching enough (demand and supply), not drinking enough water (need at least 2-3L daily in my opinion) all causes low supply. Try taking fenugreek or legendairy supplements if you’re really determined to breastfeed. Also you need to ensure you pump or latch more to signal to your body to produce more supply. If you cannot commit to the above due to work and family commitments, it is ok to give formula milk. Sometimes your own sanity is more important for the long run

Read more

If giving breastmilk is giving you a lot of stress,its OK to give formula. Many kids are formula fed and do just fine. Your wellbeing is very very important.