Issues with parents during pregnancy?

Hi moms-to-be, Has anyone encountered issues with parents (i.e. the mom-to-be’s parents, or mother in particular)? I’ve had a challenging pregnancy so far, and have not been able to visit my parents much. I’m mostly home bound when off work, because of how unwell I’ve felt. My mother has been largely not understanding of my bodily discomfort, rather dismissive and giving me doomsday warnings about how unstable my pregnancy is (which only makes me panic more). Additionally she’s unhappy that I haven’t visited in person, and the unhappiness shows in terms of ill-concealed barbs and passive-aggressive statements, or stonewalling me when I pushback and try to stop such passive-aggressive stuff and scare-mongering. All these are making my mood crash, as I feel deserted by my mother during a vulnerable time when I need her (I’m a first time mom and no idea what to do with my baby, I’m really scared). Anyone experienced the same with your own mothers and what do you do to make yourself feel better or get yourself into a better mental space? Thank you.

1 Reply
 profile icon
Write a reply

distance yourself and communicate lesser. i had the same issue with my father who didn’t bother taking care of me postpartum (asked me to buy lunch for him) and kept saying i was fat after delivering. i almost went crazy cos i was living with him. now that we moved out, i’m so much better

10mo trước

thanks! Will try to do that