Breast feed VS Formula

I’m a new mom of a 14day old baby boy. I’ve been try to breast feed until recently my boy’s appetite became bigger and I can’t catch with my milk flow + my nips are hurting from latching him. Considering to change to formula but not to sure... Please advise? ?

13 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mom

Poor thing. Breastfeeding does have a lot of challenges for a lot of us mummies. If you do want to cotinue breastfeeding, you can always supplement with formula (rather than switch over completely). That puts less stress on you to keep up with the demand during this growth spurt, and also lets your nipples heal (consider some nipple ointments too. They help a lot!) All of us know that breastfeeding has many benefits for both mummy and baby, so I’m proud of you for keeping up with this over the past 2 weeks, especially when you’re still recovering from labour, and you’re really tired. If, however, you want to stop breastfeeding completely, don’t let anyone beat you up about it, not even yourself. Baby will still be fine, and the current formula milks in the market are pretty good. You do what you feel is best for you and your little one okay?:)

Read more
5y trước

Thank you for your words of encouragement 😭 Ya, my husband told me if it’s too much, just let it go.... but am doing what you mention... he’s having formula for night and breast milk during the day... so at least he is still having breast milk. Tried to stop, but just keep hanging on 💪🏼💪🏼💪🏼

I agree with the others, see a lactation consultant. I also struggled at the beginning to latch but if LO wouldn’t latch I always made sure I was pumping. So either pump or feed every 3 hours. First week we cup fed and eventually a bit of bottle feeding until we could get the latch down. Just remember it’s a supply and demand process so the more you let him latch the more your body will produce. Trust your body and your ability to make enough milk! You can do it momma!! 💪

Read more

Hi. I'm having same issues as u:) Baby is nearly 3weeks now and is still hungry after breastfeeding(prolly coz I don't produce enough) . I usually end of with formula milk so that he'll fall asleep and won't be so grumpy. I pump too to keep my milk supply going. But honestly, I mostly give formula mixed with breast milk. Breast feeding is tough!

Read more
5y trước

Ooh.. Will try Milo... Thanks!!

Thành viên VIP

Alvin is right.. best to seek help from lactation consultant.. breastfeeding should not hurt.. Would advise you to pump more frequently, power pump and pump at least 15 mins after each latch.. this is all to build up supply.. lactation bakes will help too! Don't give up mummy! It seriously will get better over time

Read more
Super Mom

Consult s lactation consultant. Keep pumping and latching. Power pump once a day. Give baby half a feed with either expressed breast milk or formula and finish off at the breasts. I did that on my LC's advice, until my supply is maintained. I only managed to breastfeed exclusively when baby was 1.5mo. dont give up!

Read more
Thành viên VIP

If you are hurting when he is latching, u are probably doing something wrong. Recommend u go see a lactation nurse. Feeding wrongly can reduce the amount of milk u produce. No harm topping up with formula milk if breast milk is not enough. My wife and i did that for both our daughters.

5y trước

👍 stay strong 💪

It's ok to supplement with formula for the time being if your own milk supply is not enough. You should still continue to latch and pump to get your supply going. But in the meantime, make sure your bb is fed and happy. Remember, #fedisbest!

Top up with formula after latching baby. I did this until week 5 and I had enough milk from then on! What’s important is to have baby latched to stimulate more milk flow. Hang in there!

Influencer của TAP

If you top up, your body wont make more milk resulting in low supply. Just keep latching and your body will produce more milk to cater to the demand. Dont fall for the top up trap.

Thành viên VIP

Consult LC to be able to latch him properly. Consider DL first and then TOP up FM for a start until u are able to latch on demand and milk supply is able to catch up. :)