perfect dad

I'm a father ..I have the cutest daughter who turned a year old.. While Im happy with the perfect family, I am unable to fit in as a perfect dad... I feel my individuality is lost, Its all about my wife and child now.. I feel restrained in many ways and immature as I can't handle most things; People look at me as a responsible father and husband and the word responsible creeps me out... Is this feeling normal? How do I battle this?

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

For one, if others view you as a responsible father and husband, I’m pretty sure you are doing a fine job! Set realistic standards for yourself. Recognize that you do not need to be the “perfect” dad/husband, just one whom your wife and daughter need. It is perfectly normal for you not to know how to handle things. Babies/children are often unpredictable (and every child is different), and it is impossible for anyone to know how to handle everything. Enjoy this process of learning together with your wife and also share with other fathers around to learn from each other. Also, do not neglect having some me-time. Take turns looking after your daughter with your wife so that you each can have some time for yourself (e.g., go exercise, meet up with friends etc). If you could get someone to help look after your baby for a few hours, go on a date with your wife. Take a break from being “father” and have some time as a “husband”, “son” and “friend”. Hang in there!!

Read more