Baby Head Shaking: What's Normal?

If your baby has been shaking their head from side to side while sleeping, nursing, or playing, you may be wondering when head shaking is part of normal child development and when it may be indicative of a larger problem. Normal Causes of Baby Head Shaking Because head shaking and similar behaviors are considered a normal part of a baby’s development, it’s likely that if your baby seems otherwise happy and healthy, their head shaking is not an immediate cause for concern. Here are the most likely culprits for your baby’s head shaking behavior: Developing Motor Skills As babies learn to control their bodies, develop the muscles they need to hold up their heads on their own, and test their movement abilities, head shaking can help them reach developmental goals. Self-Soothing Behavior Some babies may shake their head side to side as a way of self-soothing and lulling themselves to sleep. Abnormal Causes of Baby Head Shaking While head shaking alone is not typically a cause for concern, in tandem with other symptoms and behaviors, it can indicate an underlying illness or developmental issues. Ear Infection or Discomfort If your baby’s head shaking behavior is accompanied by a cold, fever, lethargy, or ear tugging, you’ll want to contact your pediatrician immediately, as these symptoms and behaviors may be symptoms of an ear infection. Autism Spectrum Disorder If head shaking is frequent and prolonged and accompanied by the following symptoms of autism in babies and toddlers, we recommend consulting your pediatrician: Non-responsiveness to their name, parent and sibling voices, or other sounds Doesn’t smile, communicate, or has unusual gaze Repeats behaviors and movements obsessively Regression of acquired skills, such as language comprehension, verbal, or social skills Frequent and prolonged head banging against crib or wall Myoclonic Epilepsy Some children with epilepsy may experience myoclonic head jerks or spasms, which are neurological in nature and should be evaluated by a physician.

14 Các câu trả lời
 profile icon
Viết phản hồi

Thanks! It really helps. I was worried bec my baby has been shaking while nursing and sleeping since 5mos

1y trước

hi po. kamusta na po baby nyo? @clarice

Thanks for this. Kala ko kung ano na. My baby is 13 days old today and she's shaking her head while and after nursing.

Thành viên VIP

same with my baby when she was just 1-5months sobrang worried ko that time.

2y trước

hows your baby po? ganyan din kasi baby ko lalo pag na-interrupt pagtulog nya. useful info po yung na-share nyo. thank you.

Thành viên VIP

thank you for sharing momsh. this is very helpful👍

Thành viên VIP

Thank you. I was finding the cause of my baby head shaking.

Thanks for this info. Worried with my lo who's 6 mos today. Started shaking his head laat week

Thành viên VIP

Thanks for sharing po.♥️

Thanks for sharing🙂

Thành viên VIP

thank you. ❤

Thành viên VIP

thanks for sharing..worried din kasi baby is shaking her head.