I think my wife is too obsessed with hygiene and is overprotective of our daughter. How do I tell her to be more carefree?

27 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

As a mother, I will make sure the hygiene level in the house and outside is acceptable as the germs will cause children to fall sick easily. However, overly doing it might deprive their childhood, e.g. kids afraid of playing sands at beach and dare not to try out new things as has been over-protected by parents, don't know how to handle bullies by themselves and etc. Thus, I would suggest to strike a balance to let kids to explore themselves and learn through mistakes. You can talk to your wife and point out what are the areas that can be improved together. Remember do not use blaming during the discussion.

Read more

I think it's just a natural mother's instinct to keep germs and bacteria away from her baby. I think I was quite a pain in the neck about it too when my son was still an infant. However, if she is over doing in, have a sit down and talk with her while watching the baby together. Is something bothering her for her to act that way? Or is she afraid that something/someone would hurt her child? Talk to her and understand her concerns and I think it would be easier for her to let go.

Read more

It's mother only who can be more careful about hygiene & protectiveness for her child. Too much carefulness is not a bad thoughts. It teaches a child how to well behave and well live in the society. You should have discussion with your wife in a positive manner that we should exclude same area's where child does not like the hygieneness. You both need to observe the child protectiveness at his/her own strengths and have some extra curricular activities for the same.

Read more
Thành viên VIP

It is important for babies to have a clean environment. Keeping both the baby and bottles clean is of utmost importance. Better to have a clean home and healthy baby, right? However, if your wife is insistent on wiping every single speck of dust off and you notice that she's cleaning the house every single second, then it does seem a bit overboard and may be a sign of OCD. http://www.kir.org/babycontent/hygiene-and-sterilization.htm

Read more

Its good to be clean... rather than dirty right? I understand being parent can be overprotective at times. This has to be in moderation, as too much protection will not prepare child to be independent. where hub and wife shld work hand in hand. In case one party overdo, just sit down and discuss abt it when child is not around

Read more

I had the same problem with my husband. He's been over protective with our son. He does let him be active. I did not want my son to get hurt, yet i don't want him to be lame either. When I try to talk to him it's like I am the one who doesn't care about my son's safety. I know where you're coming from.

Read more

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-1301)

There's nothing wrong about your wife being overprotective to your baby, after all she carried her 9mos. She just wants the best for your child. Try to understand and see the good point

Haha, this is so common. Not sure you can win this battle! Perhaps just take some more load from her and see if you can 'educate by doing' Good luck!

It’s the other way round for me. Lol. I feel it’s more of a preventive measure, as it’s gonna be more troublesome if she falls sick, etc.