I have lost total freedom after having our baby. My wife makes sure I get home as soon as work is over - I have lost my time with my colleagues after work, friends and even relatives. I feel trapped. What can I do?

28 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I would suggest speaking to your wife. I’m guessing she only wants you home after work to help handle the baby. If you feel that you need a few nights out with your friends, let her know about it. However, do bear in mind that she is still experiencing hormonal changes and may be feeling stressed and tired from taking care of the baby too. Similar for her, she may also welcome a break and would likely understand where you are coming from as long as you phrase it properly. Some tips to look out for when approaching this topic with your wife would be: - Do not sound accusing: having a baby in your lives is a major change and both of you will need time to adjust and adapt. Just simply state that you would like to go out with friends occasionally to catch up with friends. - Be calm: if your wife gets worked up during the discussion, it may be her hormones speaking. Give her some time to think through the suggestion before discussing the issue further Also, keep a lookout of signs of Paternal Postnatal Depression (PPND). Fathers are susceptible to depression too. It is likely caused by hormonal changes as men’s hormones also go through changes during the pregnancy. Their testosterone level decreases while estrogen level increases. These changes will cause some men to be more susceptible to depression after the birth of their newborn. It could also be caused by the added stress and anxiety. Therefore, watch out for signs and symptoms of this condition to ensure that you are not exhibiting any of those bahviours. If you suspect that you may be developing PPND, seek professional help. Take a look at this article to understand more about the condition: http://www.parents.com/parenting/dads/sad-dads/

Read more