How effective is breastfeeding for birth control?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Lactational amenorrhoea method, that is, regular and frequent breastfeeding is said to be 98 percent effective but it only works if you have not got your periods yet and your baby is exclusively on your feed. When a woman is breastfeeding, the hormones needed for ovulation are naturally suppressed and this is the logic for chances of getting pregnant are low.

Read more

Hi, I would not say that it is effective in birth control as I got pregnant while I was still breastfeeding my girl. I breastfed her till 9 months, and guess what, I got pregnant during that time. So, I do not vouch for this in any way.

According to a study, exclusive breastfeeding is 98% effective form of contraceptive for the first 6 months only. However, there is a required hours/times that you need to latch your baby in a day.

7y trước

98%!!! We're not using any contraceptive and my hubby is freaking out! I'm near 6th month feeding. Guess, we need to take an action. Thanks a lot for the reply!

Still safer to use birth control. But if you want na masundan agad ang baby mo at nasa plano naman, no need.

7y trước

Nooooo, i'm cs to both 2 babies. We think it's enough na. We really need to use something.

I would say not 100% effective compared to using contraceptives.