Hi all, It is great to join this community! I would love to hear your thoughts on this and how I should manage it. 1) I have quite a few mummy friends who direct latch their baby and do not pump at all unless they are about to go back to work. However, my massage lady told me that even though I direct latch, I should still pump at least 3 times a day to clear the excess milk to prevent block ducts. I do have quite a lot of milk but by pumping, won't that just increase the supply as well? But if I don't pump, I do get lumps and block ducts. 2) And my baby tends to drink only 1 side in the middle of the night and I will feel engorge on the other side. Should I pump? Thank you in advance for your kind sharing! *my baby boy is 7 weeks young

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi beauty Wendy here - founder of award winning lactation and breastfeeding products www.mammasmilkbar.com Balancing breast milk supply can be a bit of a challenge, and different women may have different experiences. While direct latching is a great way to establish and maintain a milk supply, your massage lady's advice about pumping to prevent block ducts has a basis in addressing the potential issue of milk stasis. Pumping can indeed stimulate more milk production, but if you are experiencing lumps and block ducts, expressing milk a few times a day can help alleviate these issues. You might consider pumping just enough to relieve the discomfort without fully emptying the breast, which could signal your body to produce less milk. This way, you're managing your milk supply without significantly increasing it. It's essential to find a balance that works for you. If you're concerned about oversupply, you can also try techniques like block feeding (feeding on one side for a set period before switching to the other breast) to help regulate your supply. If your baby is consistently only feeding on one side during the middle of the night, you may find that your breasts feel engorged on the other side. Engorgement can lead to discomfort and potential issues like blocked ducts. In this case, you might consider expressing milk from the unused breast to relieve the pressure. Again, the key is not to fully empty the breast but to alleviate the discomfort. You can use a hand pump or manual expression for a short period. This can help prevent engorgement and potential issues while maintaining a balance in milk supply. Always consult with a lactation consultant or healthcare professional for personalized advice based on your specific situation. They can provide guidance tailored to your needs and help you navigate the challenges of breastfeeding. Kindest Wendy Mammas Milk Bar

Read more