How to clean and store baby milk bottles?

Hi everyone, I'm going to be a first time mum soon and questions on cleaning baby's bottles come to mind. Hope to get some advice and tips!! - After washing the baby bottles, where do you store them? - After using a UV steriliser to sterilise bottles, where do you store them? How long do they stay sterilised? - Do we have to sterilise bottles just before adding in the milk for baby? Or ok to use bottles that have been sterilised 2-3 days before? - Any special storage I need to get to store bottles? Any other tips would be helpful. Thanks so much!! #firsttimemom

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hello! First off, don't buy too many bottles at the start as your newborn might be selective and only drink better from certain brands / specific teat shapes. Once you have figured out a bottle that works for your baby (consult your paediatrician at the 1 week check up), then you can purchase 6-7 bottles or so, and wash every time you use 5-6 bottles. This allows you to only have to sterilise and dry 2 (max 3) times a day since newborns feed every 2-3 hours (8-12 times a day). - after washing baby bottles, I just put the parts on a drying mat until I hit 5 bottles (I have 6 bottles in total) then I sterilise everything together - I leave the bottles in the steriliser and take out one by one when I need to feed. You can also transfer them to a clean storage box if you'd like. They stay sterilised for 24 hours! - yes, it is recommended to wash and sterilise the bottles before every use. This is essential for premature babies, and important for full-term babies (I.e. if you occasionally forget to sterilise and baby needs to feed right then, it's ok - just make sure it is clean and dry). - nope, any plastic container is ok, just make sure to clean it periodically :) but to be honest this ended up as additional chore for me so I just left the bottles in the steriliser until I need to use them, and make sure I always wash and dry my hands prior to taking anything out of the steriliser! Also this may be a no-brainer for many but I really didn't know during my pregnancy - baby bottle teats have different flow rates that are designed for different age stages and different types of feeding (slower teat if you are also breastfeeding, faster teat if you are solely feeding formula for example). Do check on the brand's website for guidelines and purchase the right bottle teats for your newborn, otherwise it might be too fast and they can get very gassy / choke often!

Read more

I’m using Haenim so usually I just dry & sterilise then leave it inside till I have to wash new batch then I will transfer to storage box. I have more bottles so I usually accumulate then wash a few at once. You can also get a milk storage rack (with cover), after dried and sterilized, can transfer the bottles over, as baby usually feeds 2-3 hourly, hardly will keep for 2-3 days. I’m personally fine with using non sterilised bottles (sometimes when we’re at someone’s home with no sterilizer just wash and air dry then use).

Read more

I simply store the bottles and pacifiers in a large transparent plastic container with cover lid after steam sterilisation and drying.

Influencer của TAP

i sterilise by boiling & air drying them just once before next feed