What do you do or say? When your MIL felt that you shouldn't breastfeed/latch baby for long as she felt that its not good for her(She felt its not okay for your child to latch on your breast when she is older, will make her mental growth a problem)? I planned to breastfeed my baby for 12 months, after knowing what her view on it i feel really upset. My hubby is half supportive and half not supportive. :/

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

hey dear, the baby is yours... you do whatever you deem best for your girl's health. Well, talk is cheap and personally I hate it when my MIL gives her $2 worth of comments (not just 2 cents ok...). They can say n comment whatever they like but they are not the mothers n main caregiver. I am sure you know lactation consultants n most paediatricians advocate breastmilk unless the mother's health is not very good. You dont need mil's support. u need ur hubby's. Tcm physician shared w me that 12mths of breastfeeding is optimal for both mother n child. Mother - so nutrients dont deplete fr herself n she dun get overly skinny n also if she is ttc 2nd one. What do you say or do? If you are abt to explode, say nothing at all, and just walk away. whenever we are feeling upset n angry, the nastiest words could come out of our mouth n we will most likely regret that. If you are calm enough, then just tell her "Bm is the best gift one could give her own child. Are you aware of this?" then just walk away to put a stop to the conversation. Mommy, I totally feel you. it is not an easy journey at all, with all the hardwork we put in for bf, be it dl or pumping out rigorously at work, but only to get unsolicited comments/remarks n advice fr a neutral hubby or unsupportive mil. Do not be upset abt her view - that is not at all impt. All of us mommues here are supportive and we know that we are giving nothing but the best for our LOs. All the best & cheer up. Big hugs to you.

Read more

Tell ur wishes and get ur husband to support u. I think the marketing of fm with dha and stuff about being smart kids next time work on ur mil. U can educate ur mil if possible and definitely ur husband abt the benefits of bm which is immensely more than fm as it is more dynamic and more personalized to baby needs. U can find a lot of such info online. Frankly, after 6 months when u start baby on solids, by then u can pacify ur mil by buying interesting or "branded" cereal or biscuits or whatever. Mental problem is nonsense la. Fm is a recent invention. Many pple all over the world, throughout man's history, babies heavily relied on bm and we are all still here and good right now w many past inventors and so many arts and science revolutions and golden eras

Read more

my PIL always picked my baby up and away before I have the chance to latch. And when I suggested I would like to latch, their face turned. That's how my breastfeeding journey started on and off and ended less than a month. At least he drank 30ml of my BM once. For some they would say count my fortune and take it as a pinch of salt that I've someone to care for my infant while on confinement. I hated that when I'm trying as a ftm but because of grandparents who are selfish to hold their grandchild they forget of our presence as a mother.

Read more

Im still breastfeeding my boy. He is 13mo now. I have no intention to stop since im blessed with such supply. I still give him a bottle of freshmilk (meiji) a day when he is in IFC. baby gets the best ingredients from our bm, even after 1yo, bm still offers most nutrients that is sufficient for their growth. other source of nutrients shld be from solids n not formula milk. best part, ITS FREE! NO STERILIZING & WASHING NEEDED!!! Feed on mama!

Read more
Super Mom

Her view is simply wrong. No such thing as breast milk hindering growth, in fact it's the contrary. I'm not sure where she got her information from but it can't be more reliable than WHO: The World Health Organization recommends exclusive breastfeeding (i.e. no other fluids or solids) for six months and then continued breastfeeding combined with solid foods for 2 years or as long as mother and baby desire.

Read more
Thành viên VIP

I just ignore. My husband wasn't supportive of me breastfeeding till my LO was 9months where he got into a very high viral fever but it broke withnin 3 days. He seen the difference with breastfeed kids. Even with the kid is sick, at least he knows that he is okay with mummy's milk. Just ignore them. And latch on

Read more
Influencer của TAP

Why cannot? People even breastfeed up to 3-4year old. I’ll just ignore her comments. Try to give her more examples of the goodness of Breastmilk. My MIL also not supportive of BF initially until some relative of hers also doing so and for 2 years already.

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-22115)

Id do what i want to do. Id listen, but ill make my own decisions. Baby is mine, my way, my rules. Simplw as that.

thanks