Caffeine, alcohol while Breastfeeding

Hello mummies. I'm currently breastfeeding. Wondering if caffeine is ok? Or do I have to pump and throw after drinking coffee? Likewise for alcohol, do I pump and throw? Or can just wait 2hrs before feed. Thanks in advance!

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hey there! Congratulations on your breastfeeding journey! It's great that you're mindful of what you consume while breastfeeding. When it comes to caffeine, moderate intake is usually fine. It's generally safe to have a cup or two of coffee a day while breastfeeding. Just keep an eye on how your baby reacts. Some babies might be more sensitive to caffeine than others. If you notice any signs of fussiness or trouble sleeping, you might want to cut back on your caffeine intake or adjust the timing of your coffee consumption. You typically don't need to pump and dump after having caffeine unless you've consumed a large amount, but staying within moderate limits should be alright. As for alcohol, the general recommendation is to wait at least 2 hours per standard drink before breastfeeding. This allows your body time to metabolize the alcohol, so it's less likely to be present in your breast milk. Pumping and dumping isn't necessary if you wait for the alcohol to clear from your system. Remember, it's always a good idea to listen to your body and observe how your baby reacts to different foods and drinks. If you have any concerns or questions, don't hesitate to reach out to a lactation consultant or healthcare provider for personalized advice. Keep up the fantastic work with breastfeeding! Your dedication is commendable. Mama's Choice $18 voucher 👉🏻 https://invl.io/cll6she

Read more

For caffeine (coffee/tea), I usually drink after I pump, then next session pump and feed as per normal 😊. For alcohol I can’t advise cause I don’t drink.