How to wean dream feed

Hello mamas! How do I know if my baby is ready to wean her dream feed? She sleeps at 7-730pm, takes her last feed at 11pm (while asleep) and sleeps till 7-730am. I want to see if i can drop her 11pm feed. She seems to know that she’s getting the 11pm feed cause sometimes when i walk into the room she automatically raises her head and opens her eyes. But goes to sleep while drinking milk. How do i wean? Do you guys cold turkey or slowly drop the amount until 0ml?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

my LO's schedule was exactly the same as yours. At 5 months plus he started to fall asleep halfway through the dream feed + not finishing his day feeds. I tried to go cold turkey for three nights but he woke up in the middle of the night hungry on all three nights so I added back his dream feed. At 6 months he started solids, I worked to increase his time between day feeds from 3h to 3.5h. He started to drink more in his day feeds. After two weeks we tried to cut his dream feed again, first by half for few nights, then cold turkey and was successful. He now has his last bottle around 8pm and sleeps 10-12h. he wakes up every now and then in the middle of the night but was able to put himself back to sleep, i.e. not hungry. When LOs are having enough calories throughout the day, they can make it through the night without dream feed. You can try cutting dream feed for a couple of days, if she still wakes up hungry (vs waking up as habit) she might still need that feed to get through the night.

Read more

I cut down from 200-180-160-140-120-100-80-60. Each one for a few days. Initially I did for 2 weeks then 1 week but I think can be shorter.. but I forgot haha. Then sometimes now she doesn’t wake up, sometimes she does. And I used formula for the night feed so can dilute it for easier transition

Thanks guys! I did the slow cut method and it worked! She did wake up at 11pm expecting her dream feed but put herself back to sleep for the first few nights. Now she sleeps from 7-7 :)